So...What's it like in a Aquatic Plant Nursery? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Has anyone else wondered about what a nursery is like and how they mass grow all these great aquatic plants for us?

Does anyone know???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I often have, I know that Arizona Aquatic gardens is in my state and I think around my town of Tucson, I have often thought about asking them for a tour but haven't gotten around to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hi Bones! Woo HoO someone else is curious too! right on! hey you should definitely take advantage of the fact that you got a nursery close by. Well, if you ever get a chance to take a tour, please share with us your experience.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I emailed them right after i answered your post, so lets hope they answer back fast and say yes! I will keep you all up to date if I get a chance, Plus I just got a brand new Olypus digi cam so I could take lots of photos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member # 64
90 Gallon Low light/Easy Maintenance
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 01:51 AM
2la

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
Wow that is cool. But they are not under water they are all grown outside water. All those swords look like regular tropical plants. Puzzling to me :?:
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hi bubba, yea, it's a lot more efficient for them to grow emersed rather than submersed. they can grow lots of plants and it's a lot cheaper tooo. there's no way you can afford to have so many HUGe tanks for all those plants...can you imagine?? no way man, they would go out of business.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:35 AM

Actually they prefer to grow the plant emersed as they can have a high stocking level. But there is plants that have to be grown submersed, Tonina, lotus etc.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:27 AM
2la

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyCzBuBba
All those swords look like regular tropical plants. Puzzling to me :?:
What do you find puzzling about this? The sword plants you see in stores are tropical plants and thus look "tropical," as you suggest.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to NyCzBuBba
So how would they house Ambulia, Baby Tears, Water Sprite and fragile stem plants like those? The sword plants aren't originally found from water they are really tropical ground plants?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:45 AM
2la

There are actually very few true predominantly aquatic plants in circulation today. Many plants that appear fragile in their submersed form are actually quite sturdy in their emersed form--they'd have to be to grow vertically out of water. Knetter said it well in another thread: Emersed forms can deviate greatly from submersed forms. Likewise, their structure differs on a microscopic level as well to enable their survival in an environment where the threat of dessication and a greater need for internal nutrient transport suddenly become factors.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Isn't it also true that emersed growth plants fare much better during shipping?

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think algae is also a reason why many plants are grown emersed, right? Very diffucult to get algae outside the water.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

yea, there are many reasons why they get emersed growth. I've never seen emersed growth of ambulia or water sprite. that would be cool to see what it looks like. most plants i got from an online vendor are emersed growth, but the rotala rotundifolia isn't emersed, it looks like it's grown underwater...

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbahubbahehe
I've never seen emersed growth of ambulia or water sprite. that would be cool to see what it looks like.
I had water sprite grow out of my tanks before, it looks similar to the submersed form, just like a little fern. I collected plants from around this area for my pond, and one of them has little green heads sticking out of the water, and after some time I started to see submersed growth and sure enough... Myriophyllum (Foxtail) red. Both forms look totally different.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode