German Blue Ram for a 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile German Blue Ram for a 10 gallon

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have been into planted tanks for a while now. I currently have a 10 gallon planted tank setup. Here it is...

So my plan is to get one female german blue ram, and then do a school of tetras (probably flame or cardinal, but most likely flame tetras also known as von rio tetras).

I was thinking about 6-8 for a nice school of them.

Does this sound good? Also I have heard that german blue rams are sensitive but I think that my LFS said something on the lines of not really and that they just need clean warm fresh water like other fish.

The tank has been set up since around January 24, 2013. I plan to do water changes every other week.

What do you guys think of this set up?

Thanks for the help,
Braden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-20-2013, 04:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Personally, I feel a 10g is slightly small for both a GBR and 6-8 tetras. It has been done in the past though, and I'm sure it would be fine if you want to go through with it (It may be more beneficial to do smaller water changes weekly - like 20%-ish). From my experience the answer to this question is really conflicting. Some people say yes, others say no.

In short, it is very possible, and it's up to you.

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the opinion. I wound up getting one and she is doing well and coloring up good!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Algae Grower

I had a 10 gallon with a pair of Rams, 6 Rasboras, and 6 white clouds. they all did very well. There were also some nerite snails. The Rams became very friendly and had great personalities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 gallon.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	133642  

Todd

The contents of this post are solely the well-meant ramblings of its author, and any resemblance to fact, intelligent thought, or even educated opinion is purely coincidental.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Really? White clouds can live in warmer water, but feel much more comfortable at cooler temperatures. GBRs on the other hand *need* warm water to thrive. 79 minimum, more is better.

GBRs are tricky. Sometimes they do surprisingly well despite poor conditions, and then they suddenly die. But they are definitely not hardy fish, captivity bred or not. GBRs need high temps and very good water, which also needs to be on the soft side with a PH no higher than 7. I would stay away from GBRs in a 10g, simply because of the lack of stability such a small tank provides. The tank is definitely too small for cardinals - no experience with von rios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pimp Club Member #313
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarist_Fist View Post
Really? White clouds can live in warmer water, but feel much more comfortable at cooler temperatures. GBRs on the other hand *need* warm water to thrive. 79 minimum, more is better.

GBRs are tricky. Sometimes they do surprisingly well despite poor conditions, and then they suddenly die. But they are definitely not hardy fish, captivity bred or not. GBRs need high temps and very good water, which also needs to be on the soft side with a PH no higher than 7. I would stay away from GBRs in a 10g, simply because of the lack of stability such a small tank provides. The tank is definitely too small for cardinals - no experience with von rios.
It's to small for for Von Rios to. They will never show off their true color in that small of a tank.

"And 5, very important 5... Don't let me eat pears.. I HATE PEARS."

Tags
german blue ram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode