Help me plan my 40b - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help me plan my 40b

Finally was able to pick up a 40b from petco $1 per gallon today. I think I am going to go with an eheim filter and a fugeray or ray2 light. I want to be low tech (no co2 but dose excel) with the possibility of going high tech in the future if I want.
For substrate I am thinking Eco complete capped with gravel(Eco complete for nutrient storage but I like the look of natural gravel). Will this work? Also, how many bags would I need for a base layer in a 40b? I have to order on line because I can't find it in stores.
Also can someone recommend a good heater, I really haven't done any research about heaters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
If your using an canister filter then an inline heater is an option(takes the heater out of the tank, more even distribution of heat also).

If not then perhaps a digital heater like the fluval model: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VMSK0I/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
More expensive but nicer than most, and great quality.

"You Killed Fritz!"

Bakshi references are always cool!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
I have a 40B low tech. I use an eheim 2217 and an eheim 2213 (always been one to overfilter, but i have a lot of fish/bioload) and I added a power head and biowheel HOB for surface flow (eheims dont give it a lot IME). I use an eheim jager 150 watt. They are more expensive, but most will say the most reliable heater out there. I forget how much eco I used, just the standard amount.

What are you doing for a stand just out of curiosity? that was the hardest thing for my set up. Also lighting was tough, finding a good light for low light plants that penetrates to the bottom, but doesn't get too bright to cook the plants.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hey Shawn! Here is a link that will help you calculate how much substrate you need:

http://mizuworld.com/index.php/pages/calculator

It also depends on how deep you want your base layer to be.
Personally i prefer Eco-Complete base with a sand cap, blackdiamond blasting grit is cheap and looks good IMHO!

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the replies. Phish I am thinking about building my own stand(though I am not very handy). It will be a while before the tank is up and running because I don't want to buy all the equipment at once, so I have time. What did you do for a stand?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok I have another question. The eheim classic filters...I was thinking 2213 which is described for aquariums up to 66gal. I was reading other threads where people are using 2 of these, or a bigger one, or 2 bigger ones. Will one 2213 be good enough?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Well, for my stand at first I considered a new one from the pet store, but I didn't like the typical black metal stands. Next I looked for a piece of furniture that would support it, but I was scared. finally I got lucky and found one on craigslist that had been custom built. It is super nice.

For a filter, I don't think you will be happy with just a 2213. You will have hardly any flow throughout the tank. I started with a 2217, then added a 2213, then added 2 powerheads to get it how I want.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. Ordered a 2217 today
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well most of my stuff came today. Eheim 2217, finnex fugeray, eco complete. My heater (eheim jäger) should be here by weds. I just need to get some gravel and I'll be ready to fill and get planted!

Ok so the eco complete comes wet, but I want some time to play around with hard scape ideas. Will it be ok if it sits in an unfilled tank for a few days? Will drying out hurt it, or will it get moldy or anything?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Strange how some people with "low tech" fully planted tanks are relying so much on canisters, etc which actually remove much of what the plants utilize. Plants are also more inefficient at utilizing Co2 of flow rates are too high.
Plants, dirt, a gravel cap, a small hang on filter for water movement and to help remove debris - done.
Although I realize threshhold for amount of debris or water color vary with person to person.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode