co2 system enough for my large tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
co2 system enough for my large tank?

i got 265gal tank. looking into co2 system now that everyone says i need it...

"its 5lbs full CO2 canister, regulator, bubble counter, drop checker, tubing and a diffuser.

Both the regulator and electronic bubble counter are from aquarium plants.com
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon...ator_p/co2.htm its $249.99 one.

The tank is from Airgas and it is aluminum. The diffuser is from Fluval."

i may upgrade to 20lb tank, but is this enough for my size tank???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
You might want a bigger bottle so you're not having to go for a refill so often. I have a 5lb on my 75 gallon and it lasts me two and a half to three months. If the Fluval diffuser is the one I've seen then I'm thinking it might be a bit small for that large of a tank. If I were doing that size tank, even if it were low light, and I wanted to do CO2 I would look at a needle wheel pump, DIY reactor, inline diffuser or using a couple of larger diffusers in the tank.

Some people like the regulator you've listed and others haven't reviewed it as well. You might also want to look at some of the regs for sale on the forum, link below. OldPunk also builds regs and you could always send him a pm.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=regulator
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)
I agree with Jeff. I have a 180 g. I started with 5lb and it lasted just a little less than a month. For just a few more bucks they let me trade the 5lb in for a 20lb which last 3 to 4 months. Another thing is they charge 24 dollars to fill 5lb and 28 dollars to fill 20 lb.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yea im gonna go for 20lb tank.
as far as other components, am i good?

do i really need inline diffuser?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i do have sequence reeflo dart pump for my sump return.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
What has it been a week and you're already wanting pressurized CO2? I think you may have idiopathicmacrophytic addiction (IMA) .

Why not ask bettatail or oldpunk78 for advise on your CO2 setup. They seem to be the "go to people" here. The one you listed, although cool, would be more prone to problems. Old school mechanical seems far less likely to give you problems IMO.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Make a reactor or two, don't use diffusers. Either a big Cerge's 20" with at least 1" outlets and a 20" whole house water filter or like this one but way bigger - 24" by 2-4" at least with inlet/outlet of at least 1".
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=65191

Your pump has power to handle a couple of reactors and have a good amount of flow, right? You might even have a couple reactors and one or two returns. Might work better. The 20" Cerge's with only 3/4" outlet/inlet is fine with the Rio 2500, might not be okay with more flow than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my pump is already all hooked up to the overflow return, i dont wanna change that.
i know someone who is selling diy reactor he made. its huge.
now again, why do i need all this inline reactor etc? how much difference in co2 are we talkin here?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
What has it been a week and you're already wanting pressurized CO2? I think you may have idiopathicmacrophytic addiction (IMA) .

Why not ask bettatail or oldpunk78 for advise on your CO2 setup. They seem to be the "go to people" here. The one you listed, although cool, would be more prone to problems. Old school mechanical seems far less likely to give you problems IMO.
ive been trying to be lowtech but i cant handle the peer pressure anymore LOL.
everyone says i need this and that. plus i want nice carpet like HC.

the one i listed is being sold by a local guy. all the equipment i listed above including the 5lb tank for $100. (i can get filled 20lb tank here for $80 and sell this 5lb one for $50). i think its a great deal. so thats why...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreef View Post
the one i listed is being sold by a local guy. all the equipment i listed above including the 5lb tank for $100. (i can get filled 20lb tank here for $80 and sell this 5lb one for $50). i think its a great deal. so thats why...
Well that's an incredible deal. I would go for it as well. I thought you were paying list price for everything. Good for you!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If you are running a huge tank with a sump lots of CO2 needs to be introduced and diffusers cannot process as many bubbles per second as a large reactor. I cannot quite count how many go into my 180 gallon tank, more than 10 per second anyway. With your big pump any CO2 in there ought to move around the tank very nicely though!

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
If you are running a huge tank with a sump lots of CO2 needs to be introduced and diffusers cannot process as many bubbles per second as a large reactor. I cannot quite count how many go into my 180 gallon tank, more than 10 per second anyway. With your big pump any CO2 in there ought to move around the tank very nicely though!
what do u think about this one for my tank?
http://www.amazon.com/Gulfstream-Tropical-AGU00529-Reactor-Aquarium/dp/B005DGJEGC/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1Z2CJ945ILQOU
i also found another guy who has GLA regulator with solenoid, bubble counter, 5lb tank and HUGE DIY inline reactor/heater made with clear pvc. think its at least 24" long. dont know how much tho.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

which CO2 regulator would u buy???

im lookin at used ones and both in good condition. one is GLA regulator and other is from aquariumplants.com carbon doser.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Carbon...ator_p/co2.htm

GLA one is older model so not in current model.

anyway which ones better?
GLA one comes with milwaukie ph controller also but its $50 more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode