Hello and upgrade questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello and upgrade questions

Hello all!

I'm Matt (or prophet224) and I'm new to the forums. Howdy!

I've got a small aquarium setup right now... 15 gallons, a couple of tropical fish, and 1 plant (that lived at least).

My wife had given it to me as a Christmas gift 2 years ago, and it is time to upgrade. We purchased a 65 gallon glass (~35 L x 18 D x 25 H) tank and stand combo. Finally a nice stand with a cabinet to replace the nasty wire stand from before! Placement is over top of a support column.

I have read a bunch of things and I do have some basic idea already. Here's what I'm looking at and thinking about:
Filters: Is a canister really an upgrade from a power filter? Seems like it. I'm pretty set on changing over at this point, though I may retain the power filter for a while for cycling. That said, I'm looking at either the API Modular NEXX or a Fluval... thoughts?
Filters 2: Also, I was thinking about getting one of the ~55 gallon canisters and then a smaller underwater filter. I've never used an underwater filter before though. I was thinking it would provide redundancy/overlap, still be quiet and not require anything more than another wire, and could be placed on the other end of the aquarium from the canister... spout... tube.. whatever. :-) Stupid idea or sensible?

Substrate: Right now I've got gravel. I'd like to have a bit more success with plants though. Is it possible to do a blended/layered substrate? That is to say, a bottom layer that the plants are rooted in with gravel on top?

Plants: Shrug. I think I'll have to play with this part. Any tips though, such as getting a certain amount of fish in before planting (for CO2)?

Fish: Currently have the following - 1 sailfin pleco, 1 glass catfish, 1 x-ray tetra, 2 corys. Didn't realize the glass catfish needed more of a school until too late and it was the last fish in. Two x-rays also passed away a while back and I haven't gotten any more yet. Main thing to us is to get these guys happy and bring up the schools to where they need to be, then add a few more interesting fish. Any suggestions? My wife REALLY wants some pictus catfish. I understand there are two varieties - one that gets >10" and one that is more around 6". Any ideas on how to tell which is the smaller? And if they are supposed to be in groups of three, is 5 catfish (2 corys already) too much for this size tank?

Lights: Are LEDs ok? I saw a pretty cool LED light that had 'day, night, and shimmer' effects.

I know there are other considerations, but these are the key things. So to recap:
- Canister filters worth it?
- Fluval vs. NEXX?
- Canister with an underwater?
- Multi-layered substrates ok to help plants?
- Fish thoughts and suggestions...
- Lights, especially LEDs.

Thank you all for any help, thoughts, etc. I am so excited to be moving up to this and I want to do it right. Looking forward to posting some pics.

Thanks again!
-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lights

Follow-up question:
I was looking at lights and saw some cool multi-light options where there was a night light and a day light. However cool these are, they seem to all require switching back and forth, and since they are all on the same plug you can't use a timer either. Any solutions beyond using several smaller lights? I worry about light distribution if I used, for instance, a front for night and a back for day...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode