Boredom turned productive
I want to start this out by saying something: if you do not enjoy science, and by science I mean detailed research, experimentation, and speculation upon current theory, stop reading now.
I went ahead and filed a grant proposal for a research project I have been considering for months now. The title is "Stomatic Hybridization of Anubais Nana sp. 'White'". The goal of this project is to create a new hybrid species of anubais, one that displays both the color of A. Nana "white" and the size of normal Barteri. As a side project I will also attempt to create a hybrid anubias coffeefolia that maintains its dark brown coloration (not sure how I plan on doing this, so it's on the back burner for now).
Within 2 weeks I should hear back on my proposal and go from there; in the mean time I plan on acquiring my specimens (hopefully without spending a small fortune) and finishing my final draft of the procedure and controls.
Following this I will attempt to do some work with buce and possibly erio provided I cannot find a way to permanently stabilize the dark coloration of anubais coffeefolia. Should I find a way to stabilize the coloration of coffeefolia I will first attempt to darken the color to as close as is possible to black, then attempt to cross it to anubais nana sp. "white".
Hopefully this will be a productive and worthwhile research project, and hopefully I will soon have more anubais sp. white than I know what to do with.
Stage 1: attempt to successfully propagate anubais nana sp. white and anubais Barteri via tissue culturing. Upon successful tissue culture procedure being established (as proven by the existance of successful cultures) proceed to stage 2.
Stage 2: Attempt Stomatic hybridization via the introduction of cell wall disolving enzyme(s) to samples of both Anubais Barteri and anubais nana sp. "white" and the combination of samples through a number of different methods (not sure which method(s) I will use yet).