BBS eggs not hatching - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)
BBS eggs not hatching

Lately I have been having bad batches of bbs eggs not hatching. They were great up until about a week and half ago. When the eggs are not being used I keep them in my fridge freezer. I use a 2 liter vessel with about a tsp of salt and a tsp of bbs eggs. Normally I don't use a light for a heat source but it is still cold up here in the midwest so I have added one with the same results. I get what looks like a lot of decapped eggs laying on the bottom of the vessel. I got some eggs from a friend whom had not opened his can yet and I still see the same results. The eggs are from Brine Shrimp Direct. Has anyone had this problem, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Here's a pretty good Youtube vid:

There's some things that you'll find debated on hatching BBS. Light, baking soda, Iodized/non. The vid doesn't talk much about temp. but the closest you can get to a steady 80 for 24 hours, the better your results.

The one thing that sticks out here is 1 tsp of salt to a 2L bottle.

The bottle in the vid is south of a full liter once the bottom gets cut off and he adds 1 TBSP of salt. I use a full 1L bottle and add 1.5 TBSP.

If a batch has failed, bacteria may be an issue too. So a new, clean bottle will help. Check the age of your eggs, and moisture seal of the can. If your friend's eggs do better, these are some possible issues.

My bottles stand up in PVC fittings in a 5G tank filled with water and heated to a constant 80 degrees with a small 4W LED desk lamp over them. I use Morton's canning and Pickling salt (non-iodized from WallyWorld), no baking soda, let the salt dissolve well before adding eggs. Always good to go at about 22 hours.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode