Clown Pleco Concerns - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Clown Pleco Concerns

So my Clown Pleco in my 20 gallon tank has not been on the tank walls at all and they're starting to look scummy. He just hangs out on my artificial cave all day, doesn't move from it, he'll swing around the rock, but I have yet to see him in any other part of the tank. Should I be concerned??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Do you have any driftwood in there for it? Clown Plecs like to eat driftwood more than algae. Mine is hardly ever seen and when he is, its almost always on the driftwood. Beautiful fish and perfect for smaller tanks but very shy and hardly ever seen. I hadn't seen mine in almost 2 months until he popped out while i was doing a pretty thorough cleaning and rescape on Sunday.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Algae Grower

Thanks for asking a great question. I'm interested to hear what other advice is given. I just added a clown pleco to a 20-gallon tank. He's been in there for three days and so far he spends most of his time either on the wall between the heater and filter intake, or on one of the rocks. When I first added him to the tank he went straight for the only 'cave' I have which is nothing more than a dark place where two rocks meet with a small gap between. He stayed there for about 15 minutes and then started exploring. Sorry to hear yours is a bit subdued. I hope he perks up soon.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
Consider blanching a cucumber and leaving in the tank over night to supplement their diet. In the morning you should see little nibble bite marks. If there arent any, then something else might need to be done...

Driftwood are staples in pleco tanks. even a small one would be better than having none.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldn't be concerned about your pleco. I have a couple different varieties of plecos and some I never see and others I always see out.

I totally agree with acitydweller. I feed mine cucumber I just peel them cut out the seeds and throw it in.

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
Consider blanching a cucumber and leaving in the tank over night to supplement their diet. In the morning you should see little nibble bite marks. If there arent any, then something else might need to be done...

Driftwood are staples in pleco tanks. even a small one would be better than having none.
+1

The added benefit of adding veggies is snail control. Before I got assassin snails the veggies would look peppered in the morning. That pepper was baby snails. Clown plecos are shy fish so don't expect to see them as much as others.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
The added benefit of adding veggies is snail control. Before I got assassin snails the veggies would look peppered in the morning. That pepper was baby snails. Clown plecos are shy fish so don't expect to see them as much as others.
So cucumber attracts all the snails and keeps them off other plants, or does it attract and poison them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode