Can Carbon extend the useful life of DIY CO2 generators? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ok, might be a total newb question, but can Carbon (as in the stuff from the filters) be used to control the acidity of a DIY CO2 generator, and thereby extend its useful life? Or would it affect the yeast somehow?
I know that carbon has been used for a long time to "leech" impurities and excess acids for a long time in places where more high tech methods arent available (i mean in humans. Think DIY antacid tablets).
Would that work? Has anyone tried it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

Hmmm... is acidity the limiting factor in DIY CO2 life? As a (reformed) homebrewer, I had assumed it was alcohol level.

In any case, carbon will take up organic compounds, but I don't think it would do anything towards balancing out acidity. You need something alkaline for that.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 02:34 PM

I'm not sure that acidity is a limiting factor so much as alcohol level.

"Fourteen days seems to be the limit for most yeast mixtures in a two-liter bottle when using bakers yeast. This is due to the fact that the alcohol levels reach a point where it kills the yeast cells, even if it hasn't used up all the sugar. The general consensus has been that it is the rise in acid levels that kills off the yeast. But this is probably not true. One way that has been proposed is to add baking powder as a buffer to the mixture to regulate the acids, but this does little to effect the alcohol levels. Oddly it is not the acids that are problematic. Yeast can generally deal with acidic levels to a point, as you will see below."

from http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 06:43 PM

alcohol is the limiting factor, not acidity. I too was a home brewer.
I use 1 gallon glass jugs for my yeast container. I can get by with using more sugar, because the container is almost twice as big as a 2liter pop bottle I can add twice the water, thus diluting the alcohol down. Mine have lasted at least 3 weeks, and I don't do the gelatin recipe either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode