New Here! 1st post... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey everyone,
I found this place yesterday, while searching Yahoo for possible info on the Plant Gro C02 System... kinda found some info here lol
I'm sure these question's have there place somewhere in here... but i might be able to find the answer's if i put all the question's in one place or not?!!! lol
All I have right now is a 20gal. 24"L
Have Flourite/ gonna use it
:P And probably DIY CO2 for now.
I've always liked Triton Bulbs and was planning on useing 2 / 24" 20wts. But i was just reading about the PC's here (colors). And am back to considering them again. (I have a couple of days before I'm planning on placeing an order online)
:hehe:
1. What type of wood should be used for making a canopy. And should it be coated with anything? (My idea so-far is to have it hang a couple of inches above the tank and have glass built into the bottom of it, so there is open air space and no glass on the tank top itself)
And any thoughts / suggestions for Power Compact 24" Retrofit type kits and the "Smartlite" PC's? going to be low budget, so, most likely 1- 65wt PC

2. Camera's?!!! what do you all use? I have a 10+ yr old minolta auto everything lol... i think it auto's onto the front glass? but i do have access to a (probably 25+ yr old) minolta auto nuthing. But no scanner yet?!
Thanks for any help!
Looks like a great site/board!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 03:55 AM

try http://ahsupply.com if you want PCs

I would think regualar pine would be fine, and cheap. Don't know about coating it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used regular Pine for the hood on my 20g reef. I painted it with regular enamel spray paint. Make sure to coat the entire hood. One missed spot can absorb a lot of water and cause the wood to swell, mildew and rot.

The CSL "Smartlite" strips you are talking about wouldn't be suited for a planted tank (half of the tube is actinic blue in the 7100k region). I am using their "Britelite" 8800K strip, though, and get very good plant growth. It's hard to beat the simplicity and effectiveness for that price.

- Sam P -
plantedtanker in limbo - all tanks currently in storage

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

ok, looks like pine and paint for the hood...
and thanks for the AHS link... I'm considering the 1 x 55 watt Bright Kit™ ...I'm thinking 55 watts over a 20 gal. is enough for a rookie?!! And wouldn't these poor fish think there waking up to getting there picture taken when 110 watts comes on over this little tank? not to mention, staying on lol
but, why are AHS CPF's only 55 watts, and all the others i've seen are 65 watts?
thanks,
david
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Flgatorguy Send a message via Yahoo to Flgatorguy
What I did for my canopy was build it ofcourse and then completely cover and seal it with Thomsons water sealer and let it cure for 72hours then i painted it atleast that way you have double the coverage from the water

10 gallon low-tech Betta bowl...for now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank VIP

The ballast for the CSL PC's are just slightly more efficient, sending more power to the bulbs. I can't tell the difference between the two, though. Either puts out 4000-5000 lumens. Check this picture of a pair of 65w Britelites next to two overdriven 40 watt normal fluorescents. Those PC's stinkin glow!

- Sam P -
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2002, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank VIP

By the way, that picture was taken with a Sony Mavica digital camera. Scanned pictures never come out quite as good as those taken by a good digital camera, no matter how good the regular camera is.

- Sam P -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode