Monroe Washington Area = Manzanita? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Monroe Washington Area = Manzanita?

Hi, I am looking for some free wood for a couple tanks preferably Manzanita but any hardwoods like oak would probably work also.

I have been unable to locate bushes or trees locally that might have some medium to large branches I could acquire.

Anyone who lives close to this area know where I can get some? Funding is not available to purchase the wood I require that's why I am going hunting.

"You Killed Fritz!"

Bakshi references are always cool!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm a bit north of you, Camano Island.
Forget Oak - you're not in California. Best local wood is an old, seasoned Western Red Cedar root - I'm soaking a piece right now. It's perfectly safe, just make sure it's an old, long exposed piece.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
I'm a bit north of you, Camano Island.
Forget Oak - you're not in California. Best local wood is an old, seasoned Western Red Cedar root - I'm soaking a piece right now. It's perfectly safe, just make sure it's an old, long exposed piece.
Where's a good place to go hunting for that type of wood? Do you happen to have a photo of the actual tree?

Thanks

"You Killed Fritz!"

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a piece but it's been coated with something. A well weathered piece will be light grey/tan. If you break a piece off and smell it, it will still smell like cedar. No worries - that's what will keep it from rotting.

One characteristic is the anastomosis of the root system. You'll notice the roots branching off, then growing back into each other. One of the things that makes it look great as a driftwood piece in a fishtank.

Because I take care of parks around here, I have access to it once in a while. Even then though, an old fallen cedar tree is no the most common thing.
If I had extra laying around I'd tell you to come and grab it. I'll keep my eye out since I know you're in need. As far as looking yourself, probably the beaches are the best place - and hope to find a small enough piece to carry away. It will take some diligence, maybe some luck.

Jim
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Jim!

I don't drive as I am disabled but I can get around with others on occasions like going on outings for wood and rocks(something else I need).

Let me know if you get something that looks all gnarly and such. I might just be able to pay for some shipping from you to me. You can PM me if you like when(and if) you do get some in the future. Not a super rush here...

Again Thanks.

P.S. I am needing this for a 60tall and 46Bow.

"You Killed Fritz!"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode