Anyone tried Seachem flourish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am thinking of getting this but it says it's a water conditioner, my question is does it contain any nutrients, i plan to use with Tetra flora pride which i already use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANUBA
I am thinking of getting this but it says it's a water conditioner, my question is does it contain any nutrients, i plan to use with Tetra flora pride which i already use.
Yes. Flourish has nutrients. Seachem makes several "Flourish" products. Flourish Iron (just adds extra iron), Flourish Potassium (just adds extra potassium), Flourish Excel (which I think has all the nutrients plus something that they claim is similar to adding CO2), and plain Flourish (has all the nutrients in it except Nitrate and Phosphate). This is from memory, but I'm pretty sure I remembered them all correctly. Seachem's web site will tell you for sure. www.seachem.com

Almost no company puts Nitrate or Phosphate in their ferts. They assume that the fish waste and fish food will add all of those two you need. Sometimes, in a heavily planted tank with a light fish load, that isn't really true and you need to add a little nitrate and/or phosphate. Nitrate and phosphate test kits (and watching the plants, of course) will tell you if that is the case for you.

If you find yourself needing additional Nitrate or Phosphate, there's a ton of excellent information on this web site about how to go about it.

Good luck!

Tim
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:45 AM
2la

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanstar
...Flourish Excel (which I think has all the nutrients plus something that they claim is similar to adding CO2)...
Flourish Excel is a carbon source only; it doesn't contain any other nutrients.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Flourish by Seachem isn't a water conditioner. It is a "Comprehensive Plant Supplement" containing traces, vitamins and amino acids. That's what the bottle says.

I use it to supply trace elements, together with Flourish Iron and macros.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I wouldnt mix with tetra products or you may have to many nutrients and cause an algae bloom
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 03:03 PM

Flourish is good stuff. I would definitly recommend it. You probably also want to pick up some bulk macro nutrients, especially KNO3 and K2SO4. Look at http://www.litemanu.com/cgi-bin/html....1.46369600036
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Planted Member

It's difficult to overdose K and Traces(Flourish). It's easy to overdose N and P. Monitor these two nutrients and dose only as needed. Flourish also contains a decent amount of Fe. It may not be necessary to dose extra Fe. Your plants will tell you if they need more.

Len

Regards,
Len

HAVE DISCS - WILL TRAVEL
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 11:26 PM

FYI - to Wasserpest
Seachem DOES make a product called Flourish Water Conditioner. It is not a fert at all, just a water conditioner (removes chlorine, etc).
I found it at my LFS today looking for Flourish Trace.
I'm not sure WHY seachem named a non-fert water conditioner after their fertilizer line, but it is a product...obscure as it may be
So Anuba isn't crazy, and Flourish water conditioner doesn't contain any nutrients whatsoever.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Thanks for the clarification Gregg, and sorry for assuming Flourish is Flourish I guess it all started with Flourish, and when they made a load of money on it they started introducing Flourish Iron, Flourish Trace, Flourish Water Conditioner... which leaves the original Flourish with its now ambiguous name. There you go :mrgreen:

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Actually if you want bulk nutrients try http://www.plantgeek.net/store.php they are cheaper and it helps support another resource.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 02:02 AM

Wasser - I didn't mean to come off all high n mighty. at first I too was like WTF is this Flourish water conditioner..no way...but lo and behold I find it on the shelf 4 hours later.

I imagine it's the perfect conditioner for a heavily planted tank. Probably doesn't bind all the ammonia like AmQuel.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow, I've been using the Flourish water conditioner as a general fert. I believe they called it "Flourish water conditioner" to get around certain laws, but it's the same ol' stuff. I think now it's just called "Flourish" See below: (taken from the Seachem.com)

Flourish™Ask us a new question.

Q: Why did you change the product?
A: We didn’t change the product at all, only the label. This was a result of ill defined state fertilizer laws which make it impossible for us to sell the product with the older, more descriptive label. These laws do not consider aquaculture fertilization parameters and therefore left us with the choice of either bottling 10/10/10 or changing our labels such that no fertilization claims were made. These laws have been recently changed at the federal level, so hopefully in the not too distant future, the consumer will not have to guess at what certain products do because of overly restrictive government regulation.

The product does'nt seem like a dechlor type of product. It is a very rich brown color. It smells too! Gotta be a fertilizer.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Flourish is not actually a fertilizer as it's NPK is much to low. So they used to call it a water conditioner. Flourish is NOT a water treatment, DOES NOT remove chlorine or chloramines, it DOES NOT bind ammonia. If you want to TREAT your water then use Seachem Prime. If you want to supply trace nutrients to your plants then use Seachem Flourish.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
OK i heard that Tetra flora pride is mostly for non rooted plants but i believe it not true, the plants i have is-
7 stems of hornwort
medium sized amazon sword
around 15 java ferns
1 anubias nana
1anubias really small nana or petite anubias
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Flourish is not actually a fertilizer as it's NPK is much to low. So they used to call it a water conditioner. Flourish is NOT a water treatment, DOES NOT remove chlorine or chloramines, it DOES NOT bind ammonia. If you want to TREAT your water then use Seachem Prime. If you want to supply trace nutrients to your plants then use Seachem Flourish.
OK, so if I'm getting this then there are no macros in "Flourish water conditioner" aka simply "Flourish", just the micros? Maybe a blend of both? If that is the case that it's just micros, then what is the difference between this product and "Flourish Trace"?

:?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode