Manzanita - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Manzanita

So I started this tank two days ago, my first planted tank, and I am super excited about the hobby. I had a great time organizing and planting and the next day I added 'starter fish' that my LFS suggested to get the tank 'started'. Two days have gone by and the manzanita has formed a very thin grey spider web looking material.

Should I be worried? The tank has gone from slightly cloudy after planting to crystal clear in a couple of days. The 'starter' fish appear to be exactly the same.
The manzanita has never been treated with anything. Crossing fingers.

Also I read that I must take the java ferns out of the substrate and attach them to something in the tank. On the list of things to do.
Am I alone when I say that I had so much fun putting this thing together but the next day I was already dreaming about bigger and better tanks?
Here is my ten gallon feeble tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
you're off to a g odd start! And don't worry about the wood that always seems to happen. It's a fungus. In fact there a lot of critters that like to eat it like amano shrimp
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanski21 View Post
you're off to a g odd start! And don't worry about the wood that always seems to happen. It's a fungus. In fact there a lot of critters that like to eat it like amano shrimp
Thanks Sean! Thats what I needed to hear. Ok, so I'm on the right track. Phew! Now I can sleep peacefully.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
+1 what the other Sean said. Looks good!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
certain types of wood will grow fungus underwater. Shrimp will normally tackle that and keep it at bay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
certain types of wood will grow fungus underwater. Shrimp will normally tackle that and keep it at bay.
and boy would I love to get some shrimp! Does anyone see a problem with attaching a sponge filter to the inlet of my aqua clear (20) hang on filter? I'm sure it will create a little more drag on the pump... Thought it might work instead of going out to get an air pump.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
no problem at all. just try using a course sponge so that it doesnt clog to easily and often. it will be your first line of protection for your shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
no problem at all. just try using a course sponge so that it doesnt clog to easily and often. it will be your first line of protection for your shrimp.
Awesome. So, I'm sure most people go with this as a prefilter:

But I was thinking something like this:

Its the Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filters which are made to be used with air creating the suction. Can I use this instead? Any Problems here? I was hoping to get the same benefits of 'cultivate nitrifying bacteria' with this as a prefilter on the aqua clear hang on filter and also keep me from buying an air pump. Thanks again in advance for your replies! Everyone has been super helpful!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The fluval pre sponge would probably work better it's what i use in my shrimp and breeding tanks. The Azoo sponge is more dense and will clog quicker possibly causing you filters pump to overheat. The Fluval will also have nitrifying bacteria on it maybe not as much but with your HOB and the pre sponge you should be good. I just squeeze my sponge when i do my weekly water changes to clean it out. You'd be surprised how much gunk will come out of there. You also might have vacuum your gravel every now and then since your filter won't pick up the big stuff with the sponge on there. Good luck your tank looks good.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Point taken. Thought that might be the case. I knew the later filter was denser but also had more surface area (and also bigger in general) allowing enough water to flow to the HOB. Can't go wrong following others success. I will follow your lead. Thanks again!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
why would you need to buy an air pump?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
why would you need to buy an air pump?
Again, I'm new here but this is how the sponge is intended to be used:

Uses the bubbles to pull water through the filter where I was just going to stick it on the inlet of my HOB that was already creating suction.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode