Newbie need some help with snail problem - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Newbie need some help with snail problem

I have a 6.6 petco bookshelf tank that i am cycling with no fish in it yet only about 4 small crypt plants and a 1 baby tears .I have noticed small snails on the walls is there some way that i can completely get rid of the snails from my tank without snail eating fish or assassin snails.I have some aquarium salt ,if i were to remove all the plants and use high dose of salt would that kill them off.I have done some searches and have come across a threads that recommend using coppersafe if i use this stuff will i have a problem adding fish after ,i plan on adding a couple of cherry shrimp and 5 or 6 neon tetras if i can get rid of these snails and then i can start the cycle again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Since you're new to the hobby, I recommend doing a bit more research before trying to eradicate snails. They can be beneficial for your tank in that they eat leftover food, algae and other detritus. Generally, unless you overfeed, their population won't get out-of-control.

Using copper-based agents will make it likely impossible to keep shrimp and many other invertebrates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Limit your feeding, that's the main population control. Or you can always squeeze them against the tank wall for fish food

|
| Fraternity of Dirt #120

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
limit your feeding, that's the main population control. Or you can always squeeze them against the tank wall for fish food
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice, i have read that adding copper pennies would kill them ,i don't know if this is true or not ,i read this on some threads on the internet supposedly old timers used this to method to treat ick and to get rid of the snails.I dropped 4 pre 1943 wheat pennies in my tank and dropped a copper pipe fitting in my hob filter i will see if this works or not.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would remove them. It can also become toxic enough to kill everything else.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is a pic of the tank nothing to look at compared to what i have seen on this site ,i have read about assassin snails but i can't find any info on how big they get.If i were to decide to start all over again can some one tell me the best way sterilize everything,and if i would i be able to sterilize the substrate and reuse it, the substrate is red fluorite
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo34.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	125897  

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

[QUOTE=Zorfox;3122201]I would remove them. It can also become toxic enough to kill everything else.[/QUO
I currently do not have any fish in there only plants ,if i remove the plants for now and after the tank cycles i remove the pennies before i add fish will this work .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I suppose I'm too much of a purist. The fish are the last thing to be affected. Your invertebrates then your plants then your fish. Copper can hang around for a while. So if you decide to get any invertebrates you may have a problem. Plants are great to have during the cycling process. That's the last thing to remove. They will use the nitrate cycle as nutrients. The few snails you have are usually beneficial. When you do get fish they will love the extra treat if you smash the snails against the glass. I had fish that would hide when I put my hand in the tank until the instant they heard that "POP" from a crushing snail. I just didn't like the pond snails so I got a few assassins from a member here. Pond snails are a distant memory now.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
Honestly, just stop freaking out about snails. You're new to the hobby and there is a learning curve. Fortunately, that learning curve is tons of fun and you'll grow to appreciate snails as you figure out what it means to keep a planted tank.

Going to extremes like dumping copper into a tank can lead to unintended problems.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
honestly, just stop freaking out about snails. You're new to the hobby and there is a learning curve. Fortunately, that learning curve is tons of fun and you'll grow to appreciate snails as you figure out what it means to keep a planted tank.

Going to extremes like dumping copper into a tank can lead to unintended problems.
+ 1

110g Tropical Community & Sakura Shrimp
55g BN Breeding Grounds, Peacock Gudgeons, Panda, Pygmies, & Smudge Spot Cories, Rili Shrimp
10g RCS and show guppies

-
-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Honestly, just stop freaking out about snails. You're new to the hobby and there is a learning curve. Fortunately, that learning curve is tons of fun and you'll grow to appreciate snails as you figure out what it means to keep a planted tank.

Aye - especially for a newb.
I try not to intentionally put toxins into my tanks - period.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode