adventitious roots - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
does anyone know how to deal with the roots that appear on the stems of many aquatic plants? is this something that should be left alone, or does it signify a deficiency of some kind? i REALLY don't like the way it looks, especially on my giant hygrophila, and trimming them every other day is a huge pain in the butt. this was addressed in another post, but there was never any kind of general conclusion, so i am asking the question again.

any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 06:57 PM

Hmmm, I'd like to know too. I don't mind the look, but I am hoping that it doesn't mean that there's any sort of deficiency.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 07:56 PM

I've been wondering the same thing for a long time.Anyone who knows the answer?

Ernie

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:55 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Snip them off.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:58 PM
2la

Some plants have a natural tendency to produce adventitious roots which is encouraged when there's a lot of light overhead, causing the stem to deviate from vertical. Wisteria is a great example of this, as are many Cabomba and other Hygrophila species. In certain cases, though, it can be a sign of insufficient substrate nutrients. Karen Randall firmly believes this to be the case when Alternanthera reineckii starts putting out adventitious roots.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:13 PM

Hmmm. Well, my Rotala and Anacharis are putting out quite a few roots. However, the Anacharis are bending quite a bit and several of them have shoots sprouting from them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode