Starting a new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, I had to feed the addiction yesterday. I have a few cherry barbs in my 29 Gallon community tank. They breed quite often but the eggs just get eaten. My fiance wants to save the eggs and try to raise the fry. She suggested that we should get another tank. How could I say no to that So now we have a 20 Gallon long to set up and plant.

I plan on getting a bag of eco-complete and a bag of tahitian moon sand for the substrate. I have a 55W CF light that I will use. For filtration I have a bio-wheel emperor that was on my 29 gallon. I don't want to inject CO2 because the emperor will make it gas off very quickly (I was going through about 20lbs of CO2 every 8 months on my 29 because of the emperor). I was thinking about using flourish excel.

Would low light plants work in this setup? If so, does anyone know if any of the online plant websites has low light assortments? Thanks

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:39 PM

Check www.tropica.com you can see everyplant w/ it's requirements and their hardyness...For low lightlevel you could use: Java Moss, Hygrophila Diffornis (or other hygro's), Limnophila Sessiliflora, Vallisneria's, and some crypts...success!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

ohh emoore hey you are in the san jose area. where do you get your eco complete and tahition moon sand?? i can't find a place locally..

Eheim Pimp Club Member #32

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

hubba, I did not get it locally. I had to order from drs. foster and smith. I have been looking all over for eco-complete but have not been able to find it. I can't even find flourite in the south bay. The LFS here are a little dissapointing. Do you know of any good LFS in the silicon valley area? I have been to Albany Aquarium and they are a very good LFS (especially for plants) but they are very far away.

Eric
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hi Eric, You can get fluorite at Petsmart for 25 bucks. and onyx is there too for the same price. I looked around and the other LFS that do sell fluorite and onyx sell it for that price.

Yes albany is far away for me too. No I have not found any good plant stores. VERY disappointing. Are you still looking for plants??? I might be able to help you with some parrot's feather, mexican oak leaf, egeria najas.... and i also have malaysian trumpet snails if you want. those snails were hard to find and cost me way too much in my opinion, but I'm happy to give them all to you for free or perhaps if you have anything to share that would be cool too, but no big deal I will be glad to help you out.

Let me know.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks hubba, i don't have the eco complete or moon sand yet (should get it next week). I am going to plan my plants this weekend so I might take you up on your offer. I would like to trade some plants but the only thing I have to trade right now is wisteria. My e. tennellus is starting to spread so hopefully I will have some extra soon.

I did see the flourite at petsmart but only online. I went to the one in Milpitas but they did not have it in stock (the same for the python hose). I have been very disappointed with the plant selection in the LFS around here. If you don't mind me asking, what city are you in?

Eric
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm in Fremont, CAli. The milpitas one? you mean McCarthy Ranch??? Yes it does have it. I'm positive. It's underneath all the tanks where all the gravel is and the fake driftwood. It's real hard to find because we all normally don't check that area.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yes McCarthy Ranch. I must have missed it or maybe they were just out. Oh well I don't need it now.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2003, 11:20 PM

Just a note, you don't want MTS if you are trying to breed, they are serious egg eaters.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

anona is right, they do eat the eggs haha...those punks.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2003, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

good to know, thanks anona

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode