Plants that play well together from your observations - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants that play well together from your observations

Before placing a plant order for my 37 bowfront, I want to have some idea if there are any species that are particularly aggressive. This will be a medium light, low tech tech dirted tank.

I like Crypts, Anubias, Indan red swords, dwarf sags.. to name a few. I know there are no guarantees, but I'd like to minimize the likelihood of problems stemming from allelopathy.
So any combinations (doesn't have to be what I listed) that have done well for you long term, or a certain species that should be avoided - any info would be appreciated.

Or if there is an older thread you can point me to, that would be fine and appreciated to.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I believe in the allelopathy theory. In nature you seldom find several Sp. of Crypts living in close proximity. People will post they keep many varieties in the same tank. However, I would offer Survive & Thrive are not the same thing. The same thing goes for fish & inverts.

A little research and you cash find what grows/lives together in nature. Mimic nature as much as your reasonably can and you odds at success go up.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Plant Combinations

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M View Post
Before placing a plant order for my 37 bowfront, I want to have some idea if there are any species that are particularly aggressive. This will be a medium light, low tech tech dirted tank.

I like Crypts, Anubias, Indan red swords, dwarf sags.. to name a few. I know there are no guarantees, but I'd like to minimize the likelihood of problems stemming from allelopathy.
So any combinations (doesn't have to be what I listed) that have done well for you long term, or a certain species that should be avoided - any info would be appreciated.

Or if there is an older thread you can point me to, that would be fine and appreciated to.

Cheers
Hello J...

IMO no tank is complete without floating plants. They're natrual water filters and a well planted tank is a healthy tank. The best water filters are Anacharis and Pennywort. They're fairly undemanding about lighting. In the attached pic, the two are in subdued to moderate light. No special ferts, just the kind the fish produce and a bit of hydroponics liquid dosed once a week when I change out half the tank's water.

These two floaters have gotten a bit overgrown, but just a little trimming once a week and they stay under control.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Last edited by BBradbury; 05-01-2013 at 07:56 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
I would offer Survive & Thrive are not the same thing. The same thing goes for fish & inverts.
Yes - I've given that council many times with regard to fish and inverts over the years. Plants are still new to me - I appreciate the post, thank you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello J...

IMO no tank is complete without floating plants. They're natrual water filters and a well planted tank is a healthy tank. The best water filters are Anacharis and Pennywort. They're fairly undemanding about lighting. In the attached pic, the two are in subdued to moderate light. No special ferts, just the kind the fish produce and a bit of hydroponics liquid dosed once a week when I change out half the tank's water.

These two floaters have gotten a bit overgrown, but just a little trimming once a week and they stay under control.

B
Thanks - I was considering hornwort.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode