A quick question on pruning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The time has come (the walrus said) to prune my tank. I have mainly swords and crypts . Can I uproot them, split the root section and replant just what I want or do I just cut back the leaves. I'd like to take some of what I have for another tank but don't quite know how to do it. Rose, can you help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Since Swords are rosset plants, I think you have to let them split on themselves, which they do rarely. Crypts are similiar, but you can split them if they are too big. When you trim your plants, make sure to cut the whole stem and leaf off on the sword, as close to the base as possible, and the same goes for the crypts!

-Tim

Tank in transition! 55 gallons, hard water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Oh rite, are u sure they have to split them selves ? would they die then if split in half ? any other views ?
thanks i just wanna be sure

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 08:00 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sometimes swords will send out runners and a new plant will start from there. Once a new plant starts, you can cut the runner between the new plant and the new one and replant the new plant. Crypts will do the same thing but they're a lot slower. You can pinch off the outer leaves on cpypts and swords as they get old and begin to show signs of age. Crypts can also be divided by cutting the root ball and attached leaves into sections. Then just replant them. I don't think you can do that with swords though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-24-2002, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've split swords a couple times. I use a razor knife a cut them cleanly thru the rootball and replanted them and they grew fine. They may lose a couple leaves while getting rerooted, just like when you first got them and planted them for the first time. Thats just my experience, do what you think best. :hehe:

Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode