The Little Tank that Could [help please] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
The Little Tank that Could [help please]

Alright everyone, my good friend sent me here because she mainly deals in saltwater while I've been dealing in freshwater. This is my tank:

20 gallons full set came in a package from petsmart with heater, lid, filter, and such.
All of my plants are live
4 mollys
4 plattys
1 very pregnant female guppy
Rubber Lip Pleco
1 Bumblebee catfish
1 Emerald Catfish
1 Julii Cory Catfish
(3 random hitch hiker snails)

I want to add substrate to this, but here's my major problem:
My tank has Ich. It was treated at first sight, tank has been infected for about 2 1/2 week, almost completely cleared up and then had a flare up after a gravel vaccume because the text on the Coppersafe instructions that come in the box, and then the ones on the bottle are different >:[
Tank was treated, improvements are showing, I have lost only 1 fish during this infestation but it had also provoked my big molly who ripped its eye out........

My pregnant Guppy is about to pop, and I know I need to get Chara to float to help them suvive, but my concern with that is won't they be more likely to get infected with Ich if they stay in that tank? My old 10 gallon is just sitting (I haven't removed the old water or anything so it's already cycled in case I needed to for a isolation tank)(the tank has only been sitting for the 2 weeks I've had the 20 gal) it hasn't been treated yet with coppersafe.

Here's what I need to know:
WHAT is the best way to add substate to my current tank?
SHOULD I move the pregnant guppy to the 10 gal until she births?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0008.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	124474  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

If you want the guppy fry to survive, move the female to the 10, if not then leave it in and they'll be a nice snack for the platies and mollies.

For the Ich, turn the heat up to 88F for a week or so and avoid chemicals, all you need is the heat. Follow this with daily 30-50% WC's. If you move the guppy, increase heat in the 10G as well.

Once the ich is dealt with, you can then add new substrate if you'd like. Rinse it thoroughly then I'd suggest using a PVC pipe with a funnel on top so you can pour concentrated areas of substrate to the bottom of the tank then spread it out afterward (if that makes sense).
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

^^^ +1 you read my mind with your reply. That's exactly what I would of advised you to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like you have a bit of overstock going on. With three live bearers in the tank, you will very quickly be overrun.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode