Ready to start ordering some supplies and I need some help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am trying to get all that I need to get my 26 gal bow front up and running and need some help on what I need. I have the tank, 2x55w PC from AHS 53K, AQ200 with an extra sponge, food, Water Conditioner, magnet, net, heater and the driftwood and rocks I am going to use. So now I am looking at what else I need. This is what I can think of so far....just let me know if there is something I don't need or whatever.

From Seachem:
Flourish
Flourish Potassium
Flourish Trace
Equilibrium if I use RO to top off and water changes

For the substrate:
A 60/40 mix of Eco-Complete for plants and Tropic Isle Tahitian moon sand

For co2 injection the Hagan Co2 natural plant system. I know I could build one cheaper but I like the look of this unit.

For test kits:
The freshwater master test kit (PH,GH,KH,AM,NI) from Aquarium Pharm + there Nitrate kit
Some sort of Phos Kit and some Iron kit

I need to know if these are good kits and what else I might need. I am not looking for the best one...but one that works.

And a Aquaplat Clip

Now all this stuff I got from looking at Dr Foster&smith.com but that doesn't mean I am going to order all this from them so if you know of better stuff somewhere else just let me know.

Does that cover me?

Also where can I order a all glass glass cover for there 26gal BF tank for cheep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Flourish should take care of your traces, Flourish trace isn't necessary IMO. I am also using Flourish Iron. Flourish Potassium can get expensive over time, I use K2SO4, or you can get KCl instead. Not sure about Equilibrium etc.

Test kits: I only use pH and NO3. For the latter I would not recommend the one you mentioned, but instead the Red Sea kit which IMO is more precise and way easier to read. I don't worry much about PO4, there is enough in my water, and Iron kits are either useless or too expensive.

Your plants will tell you what they need... and your algae will tell if there is too much of something :mrgreen:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Sounds about right. When you're ready for plants, head on over to the MS coast and you can have some of my plant clippings to get it started. I'm about 60 minutes from NOLA.

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Flourish should take care of your traces, Flourish trace isn't necessary IMO. I am also using Flourish Iron. Flourish Potassium can get expensive over time, I use K2SO4, or you can get KCl instead. Not sure about Equilibrium etc.

Test kits: I only use pH and NO3. For the latter I would not recommend the one you mentioned, but instead the Red Sea kit which IMO is more precise and way easier to read. I don't worry much about PO4, there is enough in my water, and Iron kits are either useless or too expensive.

Your plants will tell you what they need... and your algae will tell if there is too much of something :mrgreen:
Ok so forget the F. Trace add F. Iron (even tho I will have the Eco Complete?) and what is K2SO4 and KCI...is that products or is that the the actual potassium (something and sodium)

Ok so NO3...science refresh lol...is what nitrite or trate? I will look and see what the red sea kits have
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Sounds about right. When you're ready for plants, head on over to the MS coast and you can have some of my plant clippings to get it started. I'm about 60 minutes from NOLA.
I just might have to do that. Right now Im trying to get water in it so I can start the cycle and read so I can make sure I do it all right from the start...then on to plants after I figure what ones I want to do

Thanks!

So does that look like all I would need?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:20 PM

I am using No Salt salt substitute (KCL) to dose potassium. I mixed a stock solution using Chuck's calculator (actually my biochemist girlfriend did) and dose at water change.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the red sea test I would want are the low PH, AM, Nitrite, GH, KH...hmm they dont have a nitrate kit??
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 05:47 PM

[quote="NOLACLS Ok so NO3...science refresh lol...is what nitrite or trate? I will look and see what the red sea kits have [/quote]

NO3 is Nitrate, that's NitrAte not NitrIte
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
K2SO4 = Potassium Sulfate
KCl = Potassium Chloride

Both can be dosed dry, that is the powder for one dosing is dissolved in water and added to the tank.

Regarding the test kit, I was referring to the NO3 (Nitrate) test only, not sure about the others.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:29 PM

Although I really like the CO2 unit by Hagen, I have 3 of them, I think it will not do with that tank. You may want it anyhow, I use them on Q tanks so the fish are not too upset at the alkaline water from the tap, but you ought to be planning on either DIY or pressurized CO2 before long.

On my 29 gallon I have a 2 liter juice jug with a gelatine mix (slower and longer lasting) with wine yeast, making CO2. My reactor is an imitation of the Plant Guild power reactor, using a Rio90 water pump and a plastic jar and a kitchen scrubbie. (so, go on and order a Rio50 or 90, it's cheap onlilne) The plantguild reactor uses a Rio50, might be better, less blow-by of the gas.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonapersona
Although I really like the CO2 unit by Hagen, I have 3 of them, I think it will not do with that tank. You may want it anyhow, I use them on Q tanks so the fish are not too upset at the alkaline water from the tap, but you ought to be planning on either DIY or pressurized CO2 before long.

On my 29 gallon I have a 2 liter juice jug with a gelatine mix (slower and longer lasting) with wine yeast, making CO2. My reactor is an imitation of the Plant Guild power reactor, using a Rio90 water pump and a plastic jar and a kitchen scrubbie. (so, go on and order a Rio50 or 90, it's cheap onlilne) The plantguild reactor uses a Rio50, might be better, less blow-by of the gas.
I am going to just get this unit because it is cheep and easy...but I have plans on going to a pressurized unit down the line.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 07:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I Say for ease of use just by excel by seachem as well and ditch the hagen product. It becomes a pain after time. Thats how i originally started out was with diy co2. Excell works great on every plant i have tried BESIDES anacharis.

You can buy all of the seachem products in bulk 2l even 4l as well.
I also agree you really don't need the trace.

Potassium will definitly help with your red plants
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 08:00 PM

Nola, I like my hagen co2 diffuser, but I'm gonna build a powerhead reactor by this weekend. I found a cheap aquaclear powerhead 101, and a gravel vac. Just need a few sponges and a piece of rigid tubing, and I'm set. this is for my 29gallon. The hagen diffuser worked well to bring my co2 to good levels, but I have to have no surface agitation. I think having the powerhead for some current will be better in the long run.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok so the Potassium will help with red plants...then I will get it...I want to have some red in the tank.

But I think I will still try the Hagen thing...and then go from there. I really want a pressurized system with a controler but to get this tank up and going I will just use it for now.

Malkor that sounds cool...but I would like to try not to take up tank room with that...but thanks for the idea!!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 08:50 PM

You'd be surprised how small it can be. I got a small gravel tube, and the powerhead isn't that big. it's gonna go in the corner by my HOB filter, where the hagen unit current sits. it's only gonna take up a little more room really.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode