liquid fertilizers - at what rate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi everyone,

If I need to provide 50 ml a week liquid fertilizer? would it be better to give it all during water change or would it be better to put it in a infusion bag and allow one drop per hour or so?

Thanks,

Aviel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 01:45 PM

I just dose PMDD every morning before I head out the door for work. I hate doing mega doses all at once.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:07 PM

I dose twice a week, once as I refill after the water change, and then about midway during the week.
I'm debating going to a smaller, daily dose. A lotta people think that's the route to go. A few drops every day to keep a constant level, instead of high points and lowpoints.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 02:28 PM

I would bet the infusion bag is the way to go, however, you'll have to keep very close tabs on the chemestry to make sure you have the right concentration and rate.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I must be lazy or something... daily drops?

I dose everything except NO3 weekly after the water change, and then 4 days later I dose NO3. Our water has about 10 ppm NO3, which brings the tanks to about 7.5 after the water change, and it goes down to 2.5 after a few days, that's when I bring it back up to 7.5.

How important are the constant levels? Can't plant store nutrients for a few days?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
How important are the constant levels? Can't plant store nutrients for a few days?
My theory on that is I'd rather not add more nutrients into the water than the plants can absorb, thereby giving algae an opportunity to use it.

That being said, do plants soak up excess nutrients and store them for later use? Or do they use them on a need by need basis?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I agree... on the other hand I am severely underdosing. Rather than excess nutrients, there is probably a lack of them for a day or three before the water change hits again.
No algae problems... ooops... I said it... now they will come :mrgreen:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode