Starting a 20g tank looking for advice. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Starting a 20g tank looking for advice.

I decided that I want to start up a small planted tank.

My equipment is:
20 g tank 24x12x16
Marineland H.O.T. magnum pro 250 I know its overkill or may not even be what i want to use at all.
2x 65 watt power compacts sunpaq 6700k
nutrafin co2 system. Its the one that uses sugar and yeast to produce the co2.
neptune 100w heater.
50lbs Quickrete play sand purchased at home depot. It appears to be a silica type sand but very fine.
1 bag of river pebbles also purchased at the depot.

I also purchased some items from Fosters and smith:
3 pieces of Mopani driftwood
A bottle of New Tank stabilizer
Seachem ammonia alert device.

I will be using ro/di water.

Sorry for the long winded first post. Just looking for some advice.
Thanks,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I probably should tell you guys about my experience and pans for the tank.

I am going for a heavy planted tank with fifteen to twenty small fish. Tetras mostly. Eventually I want to get a pair of German blue rams. I would like to also incorporate some inverts.

I have decent experience mostly with saltwater reefs. I'm piecing this together with equipment I already have.

I'm concerned about the substrate. Is it alright to use just the sand?

Also not sure about the background. I have black paint, but I really like the look of the back lit tanks. Although it looks like a pain to set up.

I'm trying to get this started on the cheap.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here is where I'm at now. I used a bag of Flourite first and then covered that with about a half an inch of sand. I dug a trench around the edges so it appears to be a sand substrate. I'm still not sure about what plants to get I want a pretty dense ground cover on the right side and more height to the left rear. Thanks for looking any feedback is appreciated.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 05:59 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well first let me say I'm far from a planted tank guru.

I like the look of your scape so far. If I'm reading Hoppy's thread right ( https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4368&styleid=1), you should be inn the medium/high light area. Basically this means whatever pants you want, you should be able to grow with proper fertilization. You are going to need co2 as well. Most people would recommend pressurized co2 with that much light, but I say try it, then decide.

As I said, your plant options are wide open. I really like dwarf hairgrass and have had great luck with it spreading, so I'd use that as my fore ground. For the taller plants in the back, I'm kind of at a loss since my tanks are are all short because i keep shrimp. I'm sure someone will jump in with suggestions though.

The only other thing I can comment on is keeping inverts with tetras or rams. If you try and keep shrimp with them, they will more thanlikely just be expensive snacks. You could go with some zebra nerite snails which I like. They can't reproduce in fresh water, so there wouldn't be a risk of them going crazy in your tank, and they are efficient algae eaters.

I hope some of this helped and I'd take a look at that lighting thread I linked earlier.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Planted Member

I like the hardscape. As for keeping shrimp with the fish you've chosen full grown shrimp shouldn't be a problem but any baby shrimp will be eaten. You might try some Vals for a taller plant or most stem plats will do( Hygro, Bacopa, Ludwigia or Rotala). You could go with some of the smaller crypts or Baby tears for you ground cover. I'd look around the plant sub forum to get a feel of what you like and then go from there. IMO most tanks look the best if you keep just a few types of plants but again thats just my opinion. Just curious what did you mean by tank stabilizer? Oh and ask lots of questions. I think i would have given up along time ago if not for all the people around here. Good luck
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just curious what did you mean by tank stabilizer?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode