Water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Water?

Newb question and I'm sure there are plenty of posts here about it. (if someone has the link that would be great) I'm in Santa Barbara CA and the water is super hard. I don't have a water report but im sure I could get one if its necessary. Water evaporates and leaves a calcified ring (im assuming its calcium) all around the tank. Is this ok for fish/plant health? Should I go to the 'water store' and buy RO or DI water? Does the RO/DI water take out too many good minerals? Do I just add searchem prime to the water and watch the magic happen? Lots of questions..... What are the water test kits that I can't do without?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello, that depends on the fishes you have, some like soft water, other hard water.

The calcified ring itself is not dangerous, except for the tank itself, it is not pretty.

I would buy a pH kit and KH/GH kit and test the water.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Hello, that depends on the fishes you have, some like soft water, other hard water.

The calcified ring itself is not dangerous, except for the tank itself, it is not pretty.

I would buy a pH kit and KH/GH kit and test the water.

Michel.
Thanks Michel!! How about the RO or DI water? Is it bad to have water that is 'over filtered'? I guess with the added nutrients it shouldn't matter...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
If you're keeping stock that will need very soft water--probably best to use RO water and re-mineralize it for a consistent result.

If you're planning to use stock that can handle mid to high range hardness (but less than your tap water)--easiest is to "remineralize" your RO water by mixing it with the local water, diluting it down to a lower hardness level and using RO water for any topoffs to help combat increasing hardness levels from evaporation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotyoureality View Post
If you're keeping stock that will need very soft water--probably best to use RO water and re-mineralize it for a consistent result.

If you're planning to use stock that can handle mid to high range hardness (but less than your tap water)--easiest is to "remineralize" your RO water by mixing it with the local water, diluting it down to a lower hardness level and using RO water for any topoffs to help combat increasing hardness levels from evaporation.
Hell yeah! Never thought of that. Half/half. Thanks for the tip! Can you define 'stock' (plants?)
Yeah, total nube, but don't cut a corner off my man card quite yet. I can talk beer all day (homebrewer starting a new hobby). Thanks again for your help!
Jim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm in SB, too, and yes, our water is rock hard, and pH is on the high side, too. I use 50/50 tap + RO, but only because I have rams. You can use our tap water for most fish without problems, and you'll find that the LFS locally use it in their tanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Public Water Supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgriz View Post
Newb question and I'm sure there are plenty of posts here about it. (if someone has the link that would be great) I'm in Santa Barbara CA and the water is super hard. I don't have a water report but im sure I could get one if its necessary. Water evaporates and leaves a calcified ring (im assuming its calcium) all around the tank. Is this ok for fish/plant health? Should I go to the 'water store' and buy RO or DI water? Does the RO/DI water take out too many good minerals? Do I just add searchem prime to the water and watch the magic happen? Lots of questions..... What are the water test kits that I can't do without?
Thanks in advance!
Hello jim...

Unless you plan to keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to worry about your tap water. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of municipal water supplies. All you need to do, is add the appropriate treatment to remove the chemicals the city puts into the water to make it safe to drink. The chemicals like chlorine and chloramine are toxic to fish.

Don't worry about pH, hardness or any of that. It's really not important.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

FisherMike and BradB, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the reply. I'm going 50/50 when I can afford it/have the time and then tap water when I need a quick fill.
Mike, going to start a planted tank... Should I buy plants from someone in town (im on the mesa) or order online? What is your go to aquarium store. I would like to support the locals if there is anyone worthy. Thanks in advance.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode