Plant care = Fish trauma? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant care = Fish trauma?

How do you trim plants, put in new plants, and re-arrange plants, etc. without traumatizing the fish? Don't the fishies get stressed out when you stick your hands in there and move stuff around?

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Not on mine, they actually nibble on my arm when I'm working on the tank. I have to push my cories out of the way when I'm re/planting and I actually have to scrub the glass around one of my oto since he is stubborn like that.

A few do hide but they come back out and act normal when I'm done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Fraternity of Dirt #120
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
My fish and shrimp all want to see what I have stirred up that they can eat. I have to shoo them away from the scissors.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yep, my fish don't mind me messing around in the tank. They actually come over to investigate what I'm doing, especially my GBRs. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggity View Post
Not on mine, they actually nibble on my arm when I'm working on the tank. I have to push my cories out of the way when I'm re/planting and I actually have to scrub the glass around one of my oto since he is stubborn like that.

A few do hide but they come back out and act normal when I'm done.

My SAE is the only scaredy cat in the tank--he'll hide out under driftwood while I'm working and stay hidden for a couple days after major work. Everyone else either scoots out of the way as I move around--or come over to check it out. Not much can be done if you're doing MAJOR work, but even skittish fish learn to relax if you take your time, move smoothly, take care not to splash around alot/drop tools, etc.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
Yep, my fish don't mind me messing around in the tank. They actually come over to investigate what I'm doing, especially my GBRs. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Same here. My black neons don't really care either way, but my dwarf gourami (the tank veteran, had him for almost a year and a half now) and standard neons will come right up to my tweezers or my hand, to where I have to actually move them aside. I've only had the neons for a couple weeks, but they are amusingly curious little fish.

My cories, not so much; they keep to themselves. I did notice them slurping stuff off my crypts the other day though...that was new to me. Looked like they were working on a car; they would get upside down and just get busy working their way up the stems. Of course, like any cat they quit acting silly if they know you're watching.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanider View Post
Same in my tank, my GBR's are the most curious fish in my tank. My guppies are fearless as well but they don't care what I'm doing, they just try and eat my arm.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Algae Grower

Smeagol it takes new fish a little while to get acclimated to their new home. They even get used to you coming near the tank, and like most of them said, get used to your arm being in the tank. Give it time.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Talking

Thanks, everyone! That makes me feel a lot better.

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode