Help! Worried about otos and biological filter. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! Worried about otos and biological filter.

I have a newly cycled tank with lots of plants and 3 otocinclus. I got the otos because everything I read said that planted tanks grow lots of algae and otos are great algae eaters. The problem is, my tank doesn't seem to have any algae. So, I've been giving the otos zucchini to eat, but I don't know if they're getting enough. I haven't noticed them making poo-poo. If they aren't pooping, that means there's no ammonia to feed my biological filter, right? Is all the bacteria going to die because the otos aren't pooping enough? I don't want to lose my bacteria that took me so long to grow! What should I do? Should I add more fish right away? How much time do I have before my bacterial filter dies?

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
I wouldn't worry about the bacteria as I'm sure they are pissing in the water.
That being said, Otos are recommended for "mature tanks." How old is your tank and how long have you had your Otos? If you just got them, don't be surprised if they die as new Otos have a high mortality rate. If they you still have them after about a month or two, then they will probably be fine. I would still keep adding algae wafers or fresh veggies.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Don't worry about it. Otos aren't recommended as the first fish in the tank, as they are more fragile, but you aren't going to lose your biological filter.

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish 'excrete' ammonia via the gills.

Rotting food and poop contains some ammonia. When the leftover food is low protein (vegetables) then there is not much ammonia produced.

If the Otos are all you have in there then the bacteria will die off to match that bio load.

You might consider moving some cycled media to a bucket.
Add an air bubbler or table top fountain pump for circulation.
Keep up feeding of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Keep up feeding of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive.
Feed ammonia while there are fish in the tank?

55g: Finnex Planted+ and MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Lemon, Glowlight, and Black Neon Tetras; Harlequin Rasboras; Otos. Staurogyne repens, Hygrophila corymbosa, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria, Water Sprite.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
Feed ammonia while there are fish in the tank?
I think they mean feed the bacteria that's in the media that's in a separate container.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:02 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: Help! Worried about otos and biological filter.

Bacteria will scale to the bioload. There should be enough there now to support 3 otos. When and if you add more fish, the bacteria colony will grow to support the higher bioload. So, I am not sure what you are worrying about, if the tank is cycled.

via Droid DNA Tapatalk 2

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Feed the otos... Algae wafers or blanched veggies since there is no algae in your new tank. Other than that continue on what you where doing. As OVT said once you get more fish your bioload will increase so will your bacteria. Results of this 98% of the time is a beautiful aquarium and happy hobbiest

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode