The abbreviations are annoying - The Planted Tank Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
The abbreviations are annoying

I know its cool to have inside lingo and stuff but the acronyms are really pretentious. Is it so hard to type the word out or at least make it a little more obvious to people who may be new?

INC (its not cool)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
What abbreviations, specifically, are you bunched about? From my experience, this site has NOTHING in terms of asinine abbreviations compared to any of the mommy forums, for example.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
IDKAYBIKLI

(I dont know about you but i kinda like it)

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
This thread in the FAQ section may come in handy.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
I dont think there is anything pretentious about it at all. Abbreviations are used, especially by those who are heavy posters, to save time and typing...thats it. They are all common to the hobby. This forum isnt here to spoon feed anyone. Its for a group of like minded people to exchange info and ideas. If you dont know what something is...ask. Or better yet use the search function, and learn and teach yourself.

To me, the whole premise of your post makes you come off as looking pretentious...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest28 View Post
I dont think there is anything pretentious about it at all. Abbreviations are used, especially by those who are heavy posters, to save time and typing...thats it. They are all common to the hobby. This forum isnt here to spoon feed anyone. Its for a group of like minded people to exchange info and ideas. If you dont know what something is...ask. Or better yet use the search function, and learn and teach yourself.

To me, the whole premise of your post makes you come off as looking pretentious...

What he said ^
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJL Creative Solutions View Post
I Is it so hard to type the word out or at least make it a little more obvious to people who may be new?

INC (its not cool)
LOL..

Yes it is..
When u are in age of 140 charactors.. u make cuts where u can..

Don't worry as u get more experience in the forums u will pick it to...

GL

Ps.. what does GJL mean
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

honestly i thought of it as kinda fun being a new-b and having to decipher some code to figure out what the hell some of these guys were talking about

what it did force me to do is read deeper into the forum and came out with a lot more knowledge as a result

dont get put off, instead just keep reading

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post
honestly i thought of it as kinda fun being a new-b and having to decipher some code to figure out what the hell some of these guys were talking about

what it did force me to do is read deeper into the forum and came out with a lot more knowledge as a result

Amen!

[EDITED] is an OEBT?

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 04-09-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: inappropriate language
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Amen!

is an OEBT?
i do know now, but wouldn't have just a week ago!

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 04-09-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: language
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Re: The abbreviations are annoying

Googled it myself
Orange Eye Blue Tiger (OEBT Caridina Cantonensis)
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Re: The abbreviations are annoying

I felt a bit lost at first too but you will get the hang of it. By the way don't ask what water is needed for crs when you really mean rcs. Lol. Be patient you will pick it up. And people here are always willing to help.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone870 View Post

+1

This coming from a newb:
I've been a member of a handful of different forums, and it appears that generally users of this forum are willing to answer any question you may have...even if it seems dumb.

Also, searching forums will answer your questions 90% of the time!

I literally love my aquarium(s).

20L Rimless
40G Breeder Tank
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Omg idk wth the OP is whining about.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I did see a couple interesting/amusing postings about MTS, where some of the posters were talking about snails, and some were talking about substrate.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode