Sunset Hygro - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The upper leaves of my Sunset Hygro have gone from green to redóas is normal under high lightóbut they have now turned to an almost olive-green-tan. Is this normal for a Sunset Hygro? (The lower leaves of this plant are either the stock green at the very bottom or the characteristic red a bit higher up the stems.) It is in a ten gallon tank with CO2 and slightly more than 5.6 WPG. All the leaves of this plant pearl quite prodigiously, so it is not as if the plant is not photosynthesizing but I am wondering if 56ishW is perhaps too intense for this plant.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 05:20 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Try adding some iron and potassium to the water column.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 05:07 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have gone back to using a tiny bit of Excel in the tank, in spite of the CO2 I use, something in the Excel keeps the iron available to the sunset hygor much longer. It actually works better than adding iron.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It could well be the result of too much light. I noticed in my 10 gal tank that the leaves on the surface (close to the blinding 10W bulbs :shock would take on the color you described, while the ones at substrate level were showing the nice red/green with pink veins color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree with the potass. When I don't add it the color totally changes
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 07:47 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
This is a site about nutrient deficiency that helped me: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_nutrient.htm
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 07:38 AM
Algae Grower

I really want to add this plant to my tank, but right now I am at 1.5 wpg, will I be able to get any red's from it at my wpg? If not, approx how many wpg's is needed to start getting some red?

I do plan plan on improving the lightning but is on hold till after the holidays, so while I wait, I figured I would learn all I can about this plant, so that when I got the cash I can get this and try to make it look as awesome as it does in some of the pictures I seen. So any info / experences I could get about this plant would be greatly appriated. Also I can supply more info about my tank and water stats if needed.

Thanks
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 05:13 PM

You can get a nice pink at that light level.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

Oh really !!! Cool :P
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:36 AM

Nice, not bright, but a soft pink. Not the hot vibrant pink that you see in some tanks. I read that it is more a matter of control of nitrates, not too high, and iron. I'm no expert though.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I find this plant to be able to adapt easily. In my 29 gal high-light, co 2 injected tank it was a very pale pink. I put some clippings in my 45 low-light non co2 tank and they are deep pink. I also put some clippings in my 5.5 low-light, using excel and it has a beautiful reddish pink. The 45 has high nitrates and phosphates though. I have yet to pinpoint the reason for it's color in different tanks. But I don't think it's the lighting.

George

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

From what you say about it I am even more currious about it. I think I will actually get it before I make the light change and see how it looks. Then when I change the lights my water chemistry may change some as plants use nutrients faster and heck it may change (prays that it changes for the better )
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 06:20 PM

Shakey, I always have cuttings available for shipping, and several other plants as well. PM if you want a list.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode