Need suggestions for a less messy substrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need suggestions for a less messy substrate

Hi,

I currently have a 6G tank with a Fluval Stratum bottom. If I move a plant, or take one out to clean it off, the re-planting is a nightmare. The water gets very messy as the stratum breaks down into mud in the area that it's disrupted. The plants are doing well, but the muddy water settles onto the leaves and turns them brown, which is very unsightly too. I want to replace the substrate with a less messy alternative, but I'm not sure what I should use. I don't really need my plants getting much bigger than I buy them, so I'm even considering gravel. If I dose regularly, is this a viable option?

I've looked at Fluorite, but that seems as it can be messy and difficult to rinse.

What are my options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If treated right, Flourite is neither messy nor hard to rinse. High CEC which is good for plants, and a pleasure to plant in.

Regular gravel is an option too, but all by itself it is not the best for rosette/root-heavy plants since it doesn't hold much nutrients.

Perhaps gravel over some MTS kind of substrate would work well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Eco Complete or Floramax are great options.

IF you have shrimp, UP Aqua Shrimp Sand is pretty dense due to the clay to ash ratio. In other words, it doesn't break down as easy as FS.

And lets not forget ADA AS Amazonia as well

|
|
|
|
|
| [
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode