Milwuakee regulators. Frustration at its finest. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Milwuakee regulators. Frustration at its finest.

Hello every one last week I purchased a milwuakee regulator. Thinking this will be the greatest thing in the world I slapped that on my 5lbs tank. Worked wonderfully. Until last night I got home from work I looked at the drop checker and it was blue. So I looked at the regulator and there were no more bubbles coming through the counter. So I stood there swore a couple times and proceeded to remove the regulator and put it back on. Following the directions provided my milwuakee. Get every thing open all is good bubbles come through the counter. But if you let it run for 10-15 seconds the bubble count goes from 1-2 per second to 1 every 10 seconds. I was just wondering if I blew this regulator up already and should I order one ASAP? Am I doing something wrong has any one had this issue before? This will be my last regulator from milwuakee that is for damn sure. Any input or thoughts are welcome!!

Thanks

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Brand new cheaper assemblies tend to have problems with the needle valve. It will take a few weeks to settle in.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i have 2 milwaukee regs on milwaukee ph controllers. both work great. give it some time.
is yours on a controller? if it is, give it a high bubble rate. the controller will shut it off and keep your CO2 stable and steady.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Milwaukee also does this.

My Milwaukee regulator also has this problem. What will happen is you will turn the regulator knob and the bubbles will come out fairly quickly, but then it seems pressure declines and no more bubbles (or significantly less bubbles) are released. I've solved this problem by turning the regulator knob until way more gas then I want is shooting out, and then turning the bubbles down with the needle valve. What I figure is the solenoid (or another internal process that I don't understand) needs a higher pressure to remain open and allow gas to constantly flow. Try increasing the gas using the black regulator knob, and turning the bubbles down using the needle valve. Let me know how it works.

Sometimes I wish my hobby didn't involve water
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
What's your working pressure at? You might need to adjust it to get a steady stream, word of caution, do it when you have time to watch every few hours, adjust with baby steps unless of course you have no fauna in tank.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
regulator output pressure?
types of diffuser(back pressure)?
find out the back pressure, and set the output pressure around 10 psi more than the back pressure.

It takes a little bit time to adjust the flow/bubble rate, you need to treat it as pneumatic system as a whole. when turn on the solenoid, bubble rate at the bubble counter only means how much flow at the moment but you need time to wait until co2 fill(increase or decrease) the rest of the tubings so the pressure and flow rate reach equilibrium, then more finer adjustment of needle valve, wait a little each time you touch the needle valve.
That is why after a desire bubble rate is set, when the solenoid turns on the next morning the bubble rate is high the first 5-20 minutes(depends on individual systems) but slow down to the set flow rate.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 04-07-2013 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So turned out after I posted this it started working again. Not 100 percent but made the drop checker happy again. Came home last night boom bubbles stopped again. So this morning I called milwuakee to see why there products suck. The guy said to take the hose going from the bubble counter on the regulator to my gla inline diffuser. He said to blow in it and if there is back pressure there is your problem. He said that there is dust in the co2 canister that will clog the diffuser making the regulator close off. Turns out the diffuser is clogged up. I found it odd because its only about a month old. So here is my question to you guys. Since its clogged how do I clean it? Am I screwed out of 50 bucks because I bought an inline diffuser with a small micron? Any thoughts suggestions would be nice. Thank you for all your post prior to this!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody0229 View Post
He said that there is dust in the co2 canister that will clog the diffuser making the regulator close off.
First time hearing that excuse.

I doubt it is dust. I bet you could recreate the problems you are having even without the diffuser, and just with airline tubing from the needle valve.

But, let's assume for the time being that the representative's assumption is correct.

Quote:
Since its clogged how do I clean it? Am I screwed out of 50 bucks because I bought an inline diffuser with a small micron? Any thoughts suggestions would be nice. Thank you for all your post prior to this!!
It will be difficult to clean an inline diffuser, but you can try forcing some dilute bleach through it.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
First time hearing that excuse.

I doubt it is dust. I bet you could recreate the problems you are having even without the diffuser, and just with airline tubing from the needle valve.

But, let's assume for the time being that the representative's assumption is correct.

It will be difficult to clean an inline diffuser, but you can try forcing some dilute bleach through it.
Oh that is not good. I'm going to mess with it in the morning and see what I can do. There was a slip inside the diffuser when I got it that said specifically not to use bleach on it. But I could be confusing this when I got my atomic diffuser?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
. The guy said to take the hose going from the bubble counter on the regulator to my gla inline diffuser. He said to blow in it and if there is back pressure there is your problem. He said that there is dust in the co2 canister that will clog the diffuser making the regulator close off.

super atomizer diffuser require about 30 psi to push through, and about 25 psi as operating pressure(after initial push through).

The regular ceramic disc diffuser is about 5 psi push through pressure.

either case, you can only generate no more than 2 psi pressure difference from your lung.

see if you can contact and tell the guy directly, then let us know how he react.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

1. what is the output pressure you set on your regulator?

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 09:37 AM
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)
+1 Try without the diffuser.
If it still have the same problem then we should stay away from milwuakee.

|

|
|

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 01:24 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
As other's have asked, what is the working pressure? Most of these issues are resolved by increased it and fine-tuning with the NV. Those diffusers need high pressure anyway.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

By working pressure do you mean the low pressure gauge? I did not have time to mess around with it this morning best I could do I take a bad picture of it.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

If the picture is bad it sits in between 0 and 10 so I would say 5 or six.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode