Tiny white worms? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tiny white worms?

I've never seen this. I have tiny worms swimming in my 3g.

My RCS have been slowly dying. Today there's oily film on top and I see tiny worms.

What are they? What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Planted Member

possibly overfeed
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...iny+white+worm
may feed less and clear up the leftover food ~30 min after feeding.

bio-firm can be break by surface movement (waterfall from HOB, air pump...etc) or using a piece of tissue paper to absorb them. Some shrimp like to eat this firm.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 AM
Algae Grower

I don't know what they are, but my guppies love to eat them! I have snails in the tank that has them, plain gravel, no soil-type substrate, java moss, duckweed, shrimp and guppies. Maybe the best way to get rid of them is to borrow some guppies or small fish to eat them. It seems unlikely that they are what is killing your shrimp. (I had them long before adding shrimp.) Have you tested your nitrates etc?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Planted Member

I have them all over my shrimp tank along with seed shrimp. My RCS breed like crazy. I wouldn't think that's your problem. I use a turkey baster to get rid of bio film.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Re: Tiny white worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
I've never seen this. I have tiny worms swimming in my 3g.

My RCS have been slowly dying. Today there's oily film on top and I see tiny worms.

What are they? What should I do?
Tiny white worms are usually either nematode (detritus) worms or planaria. Do they look like round worms or flat like a slug?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| [
]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I couldn't tell if they were round or flat.

They were so gross! I COULDN'T STAND LOOKING AT THEM. I torn down the tank. The shrimp are all dead now. I threw out the substrate. I rinsed the tank, put in eco-complete. Replanted my plants.

Now I have algae! Diatoms/brown algae??? I guess that what it is but I'm not able to wipe it off the anubias. The driftwood has green algae on it.

I'm using purigen in the filter. I use a Finnex light 10 hrs a day.

I'm really frustrated with this 3g tank. UGH!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Diatoms are normal for the tank when it first gets started back up. Let it hit equilibrium over time and they'll go away.

10G - Low Tech Planted [ Chocolate Neos, MTS, Tracked Nerite / Anubias Nana, Windelov Java Fern, Water Wisteria, Dwarf Sag ]
29G - Non Planted Native Tank [ Creek Chub, Yellowfin Shiners, MTS / Water Wisteria ]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
if you are seeing them around.. probably planeria

overfeeding..

stop overfeeding.. they die off.. wipe down the glass and do some water changes after you clean..

they are harmless
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you didn't treat the plants before you rebuilt your tank, whatever was on them is now in it again. Cut back on the light a little; algae thrive on excess light and food (found this out myself the hard way). Also, what, if any, routine maintenance were you doing on the tank when the shrimp started dying, and were you keeping up with water parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite)?

I don't mean to nitpick; just helps to know what's going on before offering advice or a solution. Don't know if they were the same as what you have, but I had some kind of gross, tiny little white worms in my 2.5g tank a month or two ago, and got rid of them with partial water changes and taking a gravel vac to it to get the nasty stuff (plant and snail litter mostly) out. As long as you keep the water clean and don't overfeed, they should stay away.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
they are normal, fish eat them so you'd never notice them.

i had them and was not over feeding them and they were not plenara just icky...

put some fish in the tanks and all gone.

if you were closer i'd give you some endlers (i have a ton - they are the rabbits of the fish world )

1 6 gallon
1 2 gallon 8" cube
1 10 gallon endlers tank
1 betta

Here they are

6 gallon journal

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)

webdesign:
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Free swimming worms are usually:

this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Tiny white worms are usually either nematode (detritus) worms
this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbowling View Post
If you didn't treat the plants before you rebuilt your tank, whatever was on them is now in it again.
and this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
my guppies love to eat them! I have snails in the tank that has them, plain gravel, no soil-type substrate, java moss, duckweed, shrimp and guppies. Maybe the best way to get rid of them is to borrow some guppies or small fish to eat them. It seems unlikely that they are what is killing your shrimp. (I had them long before adding shrimp.)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I give up on shrimp. I don't know why they died. Water parameters were good. I added purigen to the filter just in case there was something that I wasn't aware of.

Everyone keeps saying "overfeeding". This is not the case here. I barely fed. Anyway, the worms are gone. Now, there's a betta in the tank. I feed him once a day and only a little bit and I watch that he eats it all.

I haven't done a water change this week because I've been down with the flu bug. Usually, I do a weekly water change 25%-30%. Is this adequate?

Every article I've read on diatoms, says it wipes off easily. This stuff is not coming off.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode