overflow/sump vs canister filtration in LARGE heavy planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
overflow/sump vs canister filtration in LARGE heavy planted tank?

ok so i have a 265 gal tank with central overflow and it drains down to my 120gal sump that has a filter sock, filter mat then about 40gal worth of bioballs in middle.
as a mechanical, biological filtration, this setup hands down beats over 3 Best canister filters IMO. but i talked to some people and seems that the overflow can pose problems after trimming such as clogging etc.
am i worried for nothing?
should i just get 2 canisters and 2 hangon filters and not run my sump filtration?
this is gonna be lowtech tank so no Co2.
this used to be a REEF tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags
Re: overflow/sump vs canister filtration in LARGE heavy planted tank?

Sump is the best....my overflow never gets clogged.

You can use a s.s. mesh as a cover to get large debris and then 10 and 20 ppi foam for everything else.

Also if you ever go to co2, the sump is going to give you better oxygen ppm compared to canisters which will allow you to push co2 higher before the fish mind.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDGags View Post
Sump is the best....my overflow never gets clogged.

You can use a s.s. mesh as a cover to get large debris and then 10 and 20 ppi foam for everything else.

Also if you ever go to co2, the sump is going to give you better oxygen ppm compared to canisters which will allow you to push co2 higher before the fish mind.

where do i get this SS mesh?
foam where?
have any pics?

also i plan to keep about 200+ cardinals.
how easily do they get sucked down into overflow?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I bought my 316 s.s. mesh from mcmaster...I'm sure it can be bought other places. I don't know the exact spec off the top of my head.

Swiss tropics for foam.

I can take some pictures tomorrow but you might be able to see my setup in my tank journal in my signature. Not sure how good pictures of my sump I show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have cards and none get sucked in mine.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I just bought a roll of fiberglass mesh for like 7 buckets at Home Depot. Just go to where the window/door section is and ask them for the mesh for windows. I needed just a bit for a few projects now I have wayyyyyyy too much lol.

Patience once drove a man insane

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so how do u attach this mesh to the overflow?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glue? I used it to cover some coconuts so I can grow moss off the coconuts. I gorilla glued it. I would awesome you just glue it to the overflow pipe, or you can stick a sponge in the overflow opening

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The mesh is literally the same ones you have on your windows so bugs don't come in your house.

Thanks for your time
Danny Tejeda
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

but mine has a built in oveflow box with teeth. i wanted to block the teeth opening more.
to prevent fish, snails from going into it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
My tanks haven't been nearly as large as yours but I have been using a 100-180 gallon tank with a sump for over a decade. Mostly with HOB box, just since November 2012 with a drilled tank.

When I attached window screen closely to a toothed overflow it took no time at all for the thing to get clogged up. I wouldn't dare try it with a high flow system. I then made a loose 'slipcover' for the HOB skimmer box and that worked fine as water would go in from low down if the top got clogged up. Sure was funny looking though. Here is how it looked after a week on the job.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...m/8a3d0470.jpg
Somebody here ran with my idea for a built in skimmer box and did a much better job. I think he made a cover that stood away from the actual teeth so the cover caught a lot of debris and water ran under. Fresh water tanks don't have to have super good surface skimming, my water never had any hint of anything on it even with that silly looking slipcover.

I use a coarse Poret sponge to cover the standpipe and it does get a bit clogged after a week and the water level does go up in the overflow box maybe 1/2". If I rinsed it out daily then that wouldn't happen.

I cut the teeth off the skimmer box so the system could run more water through it and covered it with black plastic hardware cloth attached to a bit of rigid plastic that covers the overflow box. Not obtrusive or anything but not really a deterrent to surfing fish. Record has been 11 in a week, from tiny platies to the smaller of the bristlenose plecos. The only species that hasn't gone over has been the Congo tetras. Black neons, platies and corydoras are most often found but otos and that bristlenose go in as well. They are just fine in there, a little food goes over and the water movement isn't as extreme as one would think as my standpipe is 14" tall. I try to net the fish out with the pipe in place but generally give up and pull it. The fish somehow manage to avoid the drain and are easy to net out in an inch of water. A couple of photos of this in my current journal.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...3&postcount=22
Shows the white plastic and you can just see the zip ties that hold it together. I am going for a full and silent main drain and not too much of a waterfall, this photo shows very little water falling!

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
If you can modify the overflow pipes to have 2-3 drain pipes like a bean animal design, this will be ideal. Then send the water to a bioball chamber which is sealed to air exchange. You can duct tape the vents and top of the lid, the water will still flow out through the bottom and retain the CO2 in dissolved form this way. A small needle wheel powerhead to add CO2 to a large clear water filter housing for mixing CO2 will take care of CO2 for you. This removes the microbubbles and helps dissolve the CO2 faster.
The bean animal design will reduce the noise and improve things for the tank more than anything. With any small screening: make sure the tank will not leak/overflow if that finer screen gets clogged or you forget to clean it often etc.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i have a hang on overflow box. it has a slotted weir. i don't have any screens to protect it. i just pull any debris off during my morning feeding/ fertilizing routine. takes me just a few secconds to grab a loose leaf, plant, or root.. or whatever other debris may arise such as uneaten food

Sump Pimp #7

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
I super glued craft department mesh ( i think for needle point?) behind the teeth on the overflow box. I can't really see it and it is small enough to catch leaves and what not but big enough allow flow without issue.

fish should be safe, shrimp are safe unless they are really little and then you end up with a big ol shrimp colony in your sump

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode