Derimming good idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (77/97%)
Derimming good idea?

Is it safe to derim standard 20g long, 75g, and 120g fatboy?

Or will the tank crack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wouldn't do it. The rim doesn't really interfere with the scape on bigger tanks anyways.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
Probably safe on the 20 long, but not so much on the 75 or 120 w/out a brace like a euro brace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:59 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I de-rimmed my aqueon 10g. I think 20L should okay, but not for those bigger ones. I'm not really sure, but I think the taller the tank the higher the pressure.
Need someone to confirm, don't take my word.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

thank you, I will only derim the 20L
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Re: Derimming good idea?

It depends on how well the seal job and how thick the glass is. If it's 1" glass then you'd be okay as long as the seals are done well. But for most 75 and 120g, derimming isn't safe.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

SunSun Pimp #82|RAOK Club Member #89|Eheim Pimp #543

|
|
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Any tank that has a cross brace incorporated into the top rim is a bad candidate for de-rimming. If the tank doesn't have that cross brace the plastic rim isn't adding much more strength to the top, so there should be little, if any, problem with removing the plastic rim. But, when a tank fails, the amount of water that is dumped on the floor, through the floor to the room below, and into the electric wiring under the floor, and soaking into the hardwood floor, etc. depends on the tank size. If you would be bankrupted or would think about suicide if your whole tank of water was dumped on the floor, never, ever even dream of removing the rim!

Hoppy
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Any tank that has a cross brace incorporated into the top rim is a bad candidate for de-rimming. If the tank doesn't have that cross brace the plastic rim isn't adding much more strength to the top, so there should be little, if any, problem with removing the plastic rim. But, when a tank fails, the amount of water that is dumped on the floor, through the floor to the room below, and into the electric wiring under the floor, and soaking into the hardwood floor, etc. depends on the tank size. If you would be bankrupted or would think about suicide if your whole tank of water was dumped on the floor, never, ever even dream of removing the rim!
Truth.

20L can be derimmed but mine personally looks like crap. You can only do so much with Petsmart silicone jobs. As cheap as some other brands of rimless tanks are getting, I wouldn't even bother derimming. Just buy a rimless one.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Just buy a real ADA tank and forget about de-rimming a Petco tank...

It's not only about the rim on a nice tank...it's all about the clarity of the glass. When I look at my ADA tank it literally looks as if there is no glass in the way....that's how clear it is. When I had an ADA tank and a petco tank I would always ask my friends who don't know anything about tanks the following question: "which tank do you like better?" The reply was always the ADA tank with the the same reason given: "I like that one because it looks like there is no glass".
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:39 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
I de-rimmed a walmart 55 and the top edge was machine beveled. You never know what you'll find under the rim.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Derimming good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Just buy a real ADA tank and forget about de-rimming a Petco tank...

It's not only about the rim on a nice tank...it's all about the clarity of the glass. When I look at my ADA tank it literally looks as if there is no glass in the way....that's how clear it is. When I had an ADA tank and a petco tank I would always ask my friends who don't know anything about tanks the following question: "which tank do you like better?" The reply was always the ADA tank with the the same reason given: "I like that one because it looks like there is no glass".
The fact that one of the tanks was rimless influenced your friends decision considering that you asked, "which one looks better"

Perhaps a question like, "which glass tank looks the clearer?"

Is best suited to get an actual opinion about the clarity of the glass.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
The fact that one of the tanks was rimless influenced your friends decision considering that you asked, "which one looks better"

Perhaps a question like, "which glass tank looks the clearer?"

Is best suited to get an actual opinion about the clarity of the glass.

Well, the one that did have a rim had a 10x better aquascape in it so that should compensate for the rim being there. I'm sure you have but for the ones that have not seen a real ADA tank in person it's truly night and day when comparing to a Petco tank.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Derimming good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Well, the one that did have a rim had a 10x better aquascape in it so that should compensate for the rim being there. I'm sure you have but for the ones that have not seen a real ADA tank in person it's truly night and day when comparing to a Petco tank.
Agree. Also, if you have the money...just save yourself from a possible disaster and invest in a rimless tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
just for reference my brother got a used 55 and filled it in his garage to test it out. Well he found out once full that the center brace had broke and the pressure from the water bowed the front and rear glass enough for the brace to separate about an inch. So take it for what its worth but theres no way i would risk putting something like that with that much water in my house.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Any ada, deep blue pro, other companies w footprint similar to 20g long?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode