Fluval Edge 6g - Upgrade w/ 12g Edge LED Lamp? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Question Fluval Edge 6g - Upgrade w/ 12g Edge LED Lamp?

Anybody have the Fluval Edge 6g (older Halogen or 21 LED version) and upgraded the LED arm to the one from the 12g version that has 42 LEDs?

I have an old Edge 6g in which I've been running some MR 11 LED's in place of the Halogen bulbs. Well these LED's just went out and I'm thinking of buying the 12g version with 42 LED's in the replacement arm since it fits.

I have numerous high-tech tanks so this Edge will remain low-tech. I would just like to know if the 12g LED arm is too bright? I have the Edge on a stand next to the living room TV and I don't want it to be too much of a distraction when watching TV at night. However, I just want to give it a modest upgrade in lighting by getting the 12g version LED. How strong is this light exactly? I don't want algae issues since it will only have low light plants like Crypts, Anubias, and moss... I'll be dosing Flourish and Excel as well.

Please LMK your experience if you upgraded in this manner.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
| [
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have the very same tank using mr16 leds. Did you ever go ahead with the upgrade b?
I saw that fluval had that new led arm and was wondering how it would work out myself.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM
dre
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
i have the Edge 12g and its right next to the couch i watch movies on. I have to say that I dont find it a distraction at all. And i watch my movies with the lights off. (insert joke here)

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Stick some MR11 or MR16 SMD LED bulbs in there and it should be all you need. $10 lighting upgrade vs $50+ for the Edge12 light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode