rotala indica sending out roots from nodes - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
rotala indica sending out roots from nodes

I have read, on here and elsewhere, various ideas about this problem; but still I am not sure what the truth is.

First, there is some confusion about what rotala indica actually is. Debate notwithstanding, the plant I am talking about is this:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=122516

Some people say the (ugly) roots are cause by too much light. Some by not enough! Some say it is perfectly normal so don't worry. The fact is, when we buy this plant it is beautiful and tall and slender with no root threads. So the aqua nurseries are doing something that I am not.

And so then, any ideas? CO2 problem? Light problem? Growing plants from cuttings problem?

Cheers

Waddo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
@2 cents:

What do roots do? They acquire nutrients for the plant.
Why then would a plant need extra roots? = To acquire more nutrients; because the plant is not getting enough, or the plant has no more room for the roots to grow under the gravel bed .

I have always been a firm believer that "Proper" root growth comes from having "ALL" the nutrients in the gravel the plant will need throughout its life.

??? Do you fertilize in liquid or dry? Do you use plant-tab type? This is where the topic gets hairy(extra roots) My stem plants do not grow extra roots above gravel level, and quite frankly I couldn't care less if they did. They are thriving without change and have for years. I have not the foggiest idea why this is, but in my tanks it just does not happen. (I do use liquid ferts and root-tab type)

So...Do your plants thrive? If so maybe you could concentrate on the above fertilizer idea to find a reasonable answer to your quandary.

Since you've got different ideas in the other threads you've read obviously no "one" answer is correct. Quite situational probably. Try different ideas out to find the one that you find acceptable.

Lastly to get rid of the roots use the scissors and a little time to trim.

"You Killed Fritz!"

Bakshi references are always cool!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have the same issue. I do both dry and liquid ferts. I have co2 and high lights. They grow like weeds. I'm not worried about it but it has made me wondered.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Mine do the same as well. Imi Statue's post was very useful. Do your grow side shoots like crazy? Mine have been doing that along with the roots.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 PM
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have rotala indica outside and with lots of sun, nutrients they still send out side roots which I actually like.

I have no idea about CO2 levels but I think this is common for them because in area canal they do the same.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:27 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Re: rotala indica sending out roots from nodes

Maybe plants also use roots as anchors.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode