Creating "The World" tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Creating "The World" tank

I am working on what I believe to be a pretty ambitious project. this tank is a 55 gallon "standard" tank that I got at the petco dpg sale and now I'm finally seting it up months later. For this tank, I am really going all out. I was going to pick a theme for it. Not just a regular theme but something amazing. One that I have picked out right now is a World tank. This idea consists of seven underwater continents that would be raised off the bottom of the aquarium by vines. I need your expertise to help me decide which plants would go on each continent and make it either look cool or either be from that real continent. Another idea I had was to make different little planets with plants on them or mybe even floating mountains of somesort but for now I am pretty focused on the world idea. if you have any questions or comments or ideas please leave a comment as I would really appreviate anyone's help on the matter.
P.S. And fish or invert suggestions would be appreciated as well.

it's buisness time!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Representing the entire world in your choice of fish and plants doesn't sound feasible due to different pH, GH etc needs as well as the limited size of your tank. IMHO I think you need to constrain your idea to a more specific theme if you want something you can actually pull off. Either way, I wish you good luck! If you figure out how to do it, I'd love to see pics!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Most of us have plants from all the continents except Antarctica. Pretty sure I have all the other continents represented in about 20 species. My common hairgrass is found in the northern hemisphere and Australia, that is 4 continents right there, perhaps there are species in Africa as well. Marsilea species can be found in every continent. Crypt, java fern, Rotala from Asia. Bolbitis, Anubias from Africa. Brazilian pennywort, I think the Myriophyllum I have is SA but there are other species from the rest of the world, Staurogyne from South America. Hairgrass from Europe, NA, Asia, Australia and I think the other pennywort is NA and Asia. Ludwigia is from all over too, not sure where my 'Red' would have originated. And that is just what I have in my tank!

Perhaps choosing an iconic plant from each region? Anubias for Africa, Crypt for Asia for instance? Make a wabi kusa for at least one of the regions where there are lots of stem plants you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think it's ambitious based on the size constraints of the 55g

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Underwater Epcot, I love the idea. Don't listen to the haters, if that's what you wanna do then go for it and try your hardest. If it works, it works.

Tags
suggestion, world

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode