HC trimming and Cleanup routine - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
HC trimming and Cleanup routine

Anyone have any ideas they'd like to share that make trimming HC easier. I love the plant, it's beautiful but we all know it is a pain to clean up. The trimming part is easy but cleaning up all the little leaves and cuttings that are now floating are a nightmare at times. Thankfully, I only grow it in my 10 gallon for this reason. Any tips on easy HC maintenance or are we stuck trimming the HC and then taking almost a good hour to net out every last piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Algae Supporter #1 (BBA) - Rena Filstar #150 (XP3/XP2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had my GF hold a net in the water just over the part I was trimming, the logic in that was the pieces would float up and be caught in the net. Unfortunately, the reality was she got in the way and it was harder to trim !
I just turn off the filters and trim away.... Then spend the next hour netting :-(

“We didn’t underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought.” -Bobby Robson

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol that is what I'm currently doing. Ugh

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (177/100%)
try emptying the tank about half way, perform the trim, then net the loose bits. i find it easier to do trim work with less water with the exception of tall plants

"I am Groot", the faithful protector
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I've tried that trick too. I does make it somewhat easier but netting all of it out is still a pain. Someone should come up with a cool invention. I thought of using one of those battery powered siphons that doesn't take out water, just debris and try to use that at the same time to suck out the loose HC trimmings but my water level is not deep enough for one of those to work.

Cutting HC makes me feel like I'm in an infomercial... There's gotta be a better way!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is just an idea not something learned from experience but why not use a gravel vac but instead of going into the sink have it go into a bucket with the hose inside of or on top of a net? When the water gets low stop the siphon empty the net dump the bucket back in rinse and repeat.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode