My first plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first plants

Well, I've set up my fist tank about 2 months ago and wanted to add some plants. I did a bit of research, got some lighting, and ordered some plants. Sense then I have done even more research, and I'm worried that I'm doing -everything- wrong. The plants just arrived, and I was hoping you guys could tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it. Right now I only have 20 watts for a 10 gallon tank, no CO2, no fertilizers, and just regular sand. I bought some Mexican Oak Leaf plants and some Vallisneria, Jungle plants because I heard they were fast growing and could survive under moderate light. So, er, what should I add? I have the parts for a CO2 system, but I don't know how much to add. Should I add fertilizer or root tabs? If yes, what are some good ones? And how much should I add? Is it essential that I up my lighting? Do they even make bulbs that provide enough light and fit in such a small tank? I feel I've jumped in too fast and I'm starting to flounder :/ any and all help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to RedseaReefer
My first plants

Everything has to be balanced.

Too much light and not enough co2 you get overly oxygenated water and sad plants. And vice versa. Frets have a similar relationship with the other two.

I don't have much xp on small planted tanks though. But I do have a 1gallon betta tank with bamboo growing crazy out the top. I have a small tetra led light and a regular house lamp with a 6500k bulb in it to help.

I don't fert that tank at all but it does have seachem fluorite in it(I'd recommend this stuff but be sure to rinse it alot before using it).

Get your plants in there in a way you like and pickup maybe a small bottle of seachem comprehensive fert and calculate a TINY dosing schedule based on your total setup. I use what's called EI Dosing or "Estimated Index" it's a semi daily dosing schedule attempting to give fert as the plants uptake it so you don't have a system overload on too much nutrients in the water. Enough of my rambling I'm sure someone more xp with have better advice soon!! Good luck ^.^

Edit: for lighting.. Try simply getting another fluorescent light and a glass "versa top" lid to use two lights on your one tank!

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

ROAK Club #110
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellOh View Post
Right now I only have 20 watts for a 10 gallon tank, no CO2, no fertilizers, and just regular sand.
Hello, more precisely what is your lighting? led, fluorescents, etc. That would help a lot to know that. How much time it is lit.

Thank you,

Plants and algae grower.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is a Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct and is on 12-14 hours a day.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've gotten the jungle val in, but I have no idea what to do with the mexican oak leaf. It's just a clump of plant with no roots...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
To plant the stems. Take the metal strip off the bottom of the cuttings. Float the stems in a bowl of water and take off dying leaves and the very bottoms of the stems. Plant each stem separately about an inch apart in the tank so the lower leaves will get some light.

Get a bottle of liquid fertilizer from the pet store and dose as directed and that is it. Seachem makes good ones but most are just fine. They provide potassium and micronutrients like iron. The fish and snails provide nitrogen and phosphorus in a lower light tank like yours. If you want get a packet of root tabs. Break them up into 1/4s and push to the bottom of the tank every 4" or so.

Get a timer for the lights and set it for 12 hours. If you are in the room at midnight then set for 12pm to 12am. If you want to see the tank lit in the morning then set it for 7am-7pm.

When you are looking for new plants try to get smaller Anubias and java fern. Mosses and the smaller crypts are excellent in low light tanks as well. Vals and stem plants tend to overwhelm small tanks, be better to stick with what you have and add smaller scaled plants rather than more stems.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I'll get some fertilizers and a timer for my lights. The only things I need to know now is, should I do a CO2 system? How much CO2 should I add?

Tags
first plants, oh goodness, what have i done

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode