New to me CO2 System and have a question or two. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
New to me CO2 System and have a question or two.

I got a smoking deal on a 75 planted tank that came complete with CO2 system,

Equipment on CO2 consists of:

5# tank
Regulator 857a
Clippard Solenoid MME-2PDS
Fabco NV-55 Needle Valve
And (unknown to me) glass diffuser
Milwaukee SMS122 Meter

Ill adjust the pH set to shut the solenoid off and bubbles are still coming out the diffuser, Its been shut off for approx 10 minuets and tank valve closed and still seeping bubbles, getting lesser as time goes on due to tank being closed but whats causing the bubbles to continue to leak out right after the solenoid shuts off? Bad solenoid?

Any input will help. Thanks everyone who will respond to help us.

Heres some pics incase itll help anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1874.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	119970

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1876.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	119978

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
-- Ferris Bueller --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Left over C02 gas in the tubing will bubble out even after turning off the system, but this should go away rather quickly; I suspect there may be a leak instead. Have you had the system checked for leaks?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tested and no leaks unless you meant a leak getting past the solenoid because its not closing fully? I used soapy water around all fittings and no bubbles.

Just did another test and possibly figured this out. I made sure no pressure on either gauge was showing, no power to the solenoid so solenoid is closed, and opened the bottle and within a few seconds way more air bubbles came out the diffuser, to me the solenoid is not fully closing and I need a new one? If so what one do you guys recommend? I listed in 1st post which one I have now and personally don't like how hot the thing gets.

Does that sound correct?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you could miss it.
-- Ferris Bueller --

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
New to me CO2 System and have a question or two.

If its stopping completely say 30 minutes after you shut it off its working. There is still co2 in the line that has pressure in it when it is shut off and it's normal to still have bubbles coming from the diffuser afterwards. If its been hours and its still coming out then its bad
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Based on what you've described (no pressure in the line, solenoid off, then opening the tank and getting flow), the solenoid is probably bad. I hear the Clippard large solenoids are junk. High heat, on the other hand, is to be expected from most solenoids. The Clippard mouse solenoid is supposed to be pretty good.

Incidentally, you sure that's a 5lb cylinder? Looks like a 10lb to me. Also, good job on that controller. I have the same one.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 09:01 PM

From what you are describing, you either have a faulty solenoid, or some debris is preventing your solenoid plunger from closing completely.

Rather than getting a new solenoid, you can try to fix your current one. I would advise you to try to blow out any debris that might be present (open your needle valve all the way, disconnect any tubing from the needle valve/bubble counter, set your delivery pressure to ~30-40 PSI, and then plug and unplug the solenoid several times to blast CO2 through it).

Hopefully, this will dislodge any debris that may be present.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chew View Post
If its stopping completely say 30 minutes after you shut it off its working. There is still co2 in the line that has pressure in it when it is shut off and it's normal to still have bubbles coming from the diffuser afterwards. If its been hours and its still coming out then its bad
Yeah, its been way longer then 30 mins. I'm thinking its bad. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gSTiTcH View Post
Based on what you've described (no pressure in the line, solenoid off, then opening the tank and getting flow), the solenoid is probably bad. I hear the Clippard large solenoids are junk. High heat, on the other hand, is to be expected from most solenoids. The Clippard mouse solenoid is supposed to be pretty good.

Incidentally, you sure that's a 5lb cylinder? Looks like a 10lb to me. Also, good job on that controller. I have the same one.
As far as the bottle goes it says #5 on it so that's why I'm thinking its a 5 pounder, I could be wrong I guess but it doesn't say anything else but a bunch of numbers etc. I will look into that other Clippard, thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
From what you are describing, you either have a faulty solenoid, or some debris is preventing your solenoid plunger from closing completely.

Rather than getting a new solenoid, you can try to fix your current one. I would advise you to try to blow out any debris that might be present (open your needle valve all the way, disconnect any tubing from the needle valve/bubble counter, set your delivery pressure to ~30-40 PSI, and then plug and unplug the solenoid several times to blast CO2 through it).

Hopefully, this will dislodge any debris that may be present.
I will try the fix for sure, thanks for that tip. Ill try and get to that in a little.

Darkblade, thanks for that write up on Co2 you pointed me to in another thread. Good job on it.

I need to get some test kits also for this tank, anything else I should get other then these? Any brands that are better then others?

PH
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
KH

Thanks everyone.

-- Ferris Bueller --
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdood25 View Post
I need to get some test kits also for this tank, anything else I should get other then these? Any brands that are better then others?

PH
Nitrate
Nitrite
Ammonia
KH

Thanks everyone.
You may want a GH and a phosphate test kit.

API usually makes good quality test kits for a reasonable price. If money is not an issue, then LaMotte test kits are the way to go.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
You may want a GH and a phosphate test kit.

API usually makes good quality test kits for a reasonable price. If money is not an issue, then LaMotte test kits are the way to go.

Ok, thanks so much for the lead.

I did try what you said and it didn't work, something else must be wrong with it. I would like to get one that doesn't produce that much heat like this thing did. Is there a U.S. distributor that sells the Clippard Mouse Solenoid?

Thank you again for your help and time.

Mike

-- Ferris Bueller --
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 PM

You can check eBay; they may have a mouse solenoid.

Alternatively, you can check the Clippard website to see if there is a distributor in your state.

Anthony

and

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
You can check eBay; they may have a mouse solenoid.

Alternatively, you can check the Clippard website to see if there is a distributor in your state.

Thanks, I did some digging around on here and found someone that sells them, I ordered one with all the correct fittings etc.

I do have a question, I am running 2 Rena XP3's on this 75 gallon tank, I have the glass, ceramic diffuser. A Lot of bubbles still reach the surface of the water and I read that its just waisting Co2 by hitting the surface, if I put the diffuser directly under the intake pipe for one of the xp3's will it air lock the filter at all? Hopefully I am making sense!

Thanks again for your help sir.

Mike

-- Ferris Bueller --
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 AM

Many people put the diffuser under the filter intake and/or under the filter return so that the current will blow the bubbles around.

With a fine enough mist, it is unlikely that it will cause your canister filter to seize.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode