Question about running Hydor + Reactor inline - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to bavarian3
Question about running Hydor + Reactor inline

Id just like to verify the proper way to install my hydor heater and DIY reactor inline to my ViaAqua 750 cannister.
If there are any faults in the trail of where the tubing should go or which unit after which please let me know.
Just want to be sure before i start cutting up any tubing, thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks good to me. You'll have to see how much the two inliners reduce the flow. Each elbow/90/180 degree turn eats away on the flow due to turbulences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Looks good to me. You'll have to see how much the two inliners reduce the flow. Each elbow/90/180 degree turn eats away on the flow due to turbulences.
Im hoping it does reduce the flow as its a ViaAqua750 going to be running just a 48g tank

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would put the reactor first so that you get top -> bottom flow followed by a SHORT tube with the heater inline on the way back up to the tank. This keeps the length of tube and potential leak points to a minimum. If you would like to slow the flow somewhat (like <20% less) put a ball valve on the top of the reactor.

Moved to Tucson.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRam
I would put the reactor first so that you get top -> bottom flow followed by a SHORT tube with the heater inline on the way back up to the tank. This keeps the length of tube and potential leak points to a minimum. If you would like to slow the flow somewhat (like <20% less) put a ball valve on the top of the reactor.
Youre absolutely correct, this method worked much better and is what i ended up doing. Too bad the reactor has a leak and i now have to make another
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If its a tiny leak, it might heal itself after a little time. I have it reactor first followed by Hydor. I've had no problems so far, driven by an XP3.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:28 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think I might be a bit careful about adding a ball valve to that system to slow down the filter flow. I am not sure how much back pressure the Via Aqua can handle. I would do it on an Eheim or a Rena possibly, but I am not sure the Via Aqua can handle it. Too much and it could cause the filter to leak.

A safer way to reduce the flow would be to increase the size of the tubing after the heater as the water returns to the aquarium. Like going from 1/2" to 5/8". That will slow down the flow as it enters the aquarium and cause no back pressure on the filter.

Mike

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode