New here with questions:Marimo, Blue Lobsters, Goldfish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New here with questions:Marimo, Blue Lobsters, Goldfish

Hello!

New here. We have 3 separate aquatic projects going on in our home right now. Marimos, a huge goldfish, and baby blue lobsters. (I know they're are crayfish, but lobster sounds much more fun!)

Our 10 gallon fish tank (undergravel filteer with regular filter hanging on back) with a huge, 7-year old goldfish. He's almost completely white now, with just a few specks of his original orange. We clean it every 3-4 months.

We have 3 Marimo from PetSmart. One is in the goldfish tank, one is broken up and with the lobsters, and one is broken up to try to propagate more.
My daughter wanted to sell some jars with little marimo at a craft fair in the fall, but I read on the forum that it might be illegal (needing a nursery license?) She will be very disappointed, as will my wallet because we have already started buying glass jars and sand/crushed shells.

We have 10 baby blue lobsters that are 18 days old. Right now they are in glass containers with Marimo to munch and several sea shells for places to hide. 6 of them are double the size of the other 4 so I moved the small ones to a separate container.
I know eventually I will either need to get a very large tank (don't have the space for it) if we want to keep them together, or they will need to be separated.

We have some dolostone rocks with embedded Herkimer Diamonds (quartz crystals) and druzy. I am wondering if they are safe to put in with the lobsters and Marimo or would the rock leech anything harmful?

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to learning more and maybe sometime attempt to create one of those lovely plant tanks you all are making.

Last edited by MarimoLobster; 04-05-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Heavily edited for brevity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Another question. I'm not sure what I did wrong when I posted but why were there a bunch of [censored] in my original post? I deleted them out. They were just in spots with a space so I'm not sure what was being 'censored'. I am on many forums and have never seen that before.

Thanks!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
That was a long post! You might get more responses if you break it up into several separate posts. For example, you may want to post your questions about your crayfish on the inverts board.
I highly doubt it is illegal to sell Marimo balls. True marimo balls come from Japan and are only harvested a few times a year. Yours are probably cladophora algea balls. They're perfectly legal, otherwise why would PetSmart/Petco be selling them? Sell away.
A good test to see whether or not rocks are safe for aquariums is to pour a little bit of acid on them and see if they bubble. If they bubble, they aren't safe. Quartz is fine, but I have no idea what dolostone is.
Finally, a large goldfish should really be in a larger tank than 10 gallons. At the very least you should be changing out 50% of the water on a weekly basis. Not lecturing! I kept a goldfish in a bowl in college, so I'm not innocent. You might get a large aquarium (50+ gallons) and move your goldfish and crayfish into it. Though they might eat your goldfish when they get bigger I would recommend using a decloronator like Prime to remove chlorine from your tap water.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, MamaFish!
Yes, that was a long post; sorry! I will edit it to make it shorter.

I actually am not concerned that Marimos themselves are illegal, but rather I read several post on this forum talking abut possibly needed a nursery license in order to sell any kind of plants. I know I need to do my own research, but I am not sure where to start.

We were not planning on selling many, maybe 20-40 if we're lucky. We're only going to two local craft shows in the fall, and no mail order. I don't want to pay high fees for a license when the profit is going to be so small as it is (we were only going to sell for $5-$10, which includes the Marimo, glass jar, sand, sea shell, piece of sea fan decoration, plus the show entry fee.) My daughter is only 10 and she has been wanting to do a craft show for a while now. She was so excited when she saw the Marimo in a jar and instantly wanted to sell it. We homeschool so I was also going to have this be a learning experience.

What kind of acid is needed for the rock test? I'm assuming vinegar is too weak?

Lecturing is fine! I'm here to learn.
We do use a dechlorinator for the 10 gallon tank, but it is just easier to get the water from my Britta for the smaller fish bowls. The Britta removes chlorine, plus I let the water sit out, so hopefully it is getting it all.

Last edited by MarimoLobster; 04-05-2013 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Grammer corrections
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (501/100%)
You don't need a "nursery license."

The only way to know if the rocks you wish to use are to test them with an acid like vinegar. And then let them sit in a bucket with RO/DI water for a week or two and test the parameters. If things aren't altered much and there's nothing toxic like copper? You'll be good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I guess I'll just skip the rocks for now. Unfortunately, I don't have a reverse osmosis system, just a Britta filter. If I am able to get some RO water from a friend, does it also have to be DI? Can distiller water be used instead? Also, what kind of test kit would I need to get to test the water?

Thanks again and have a nice weekend!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aw, nevermind. I just did some google searches and found out that dolostone is also called dolomite rock and is a sedimentary carbonate rock. Too bad, the Herimer Diamonds are pretty looking in the rock.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Look at your water company's annual report.
Also, look at your own plumbing fixtures.

If the water company report says the General Hardness, Alkalinity, Total hardness, Calcium or Magnesium are high, then your water is probably fairly hard.

If you see white crusty stuff around faucets (sink, tub, shower) then your water is probably fairly hard.

Adding calcium carbonate rock (dolomite or any of several other names) to water that is already hard is not a problem.

To research your local regulations about selling plants you might try something like the Department of Agriculture. There may be state regulations, too.
However, if you are buying them locally at stores then I would go ahead and sell them at little things like craft fairs.

There are 2 basic problems with plants, and both are involved not when the plants are moved (sold) within a state, but when the plants move from one state to another, and when plants are imported.
Soils can harbor pests, and the plants themselves can harbor pests and when plants are imported or moved between states they need to be inspected to be sure pests are not also being moved.
With Marimo Balls there is obviously no soil problem.

The other major area of problems when moving plants is that some plants can live outside in wild rivers and lakes, and become quite a pest. Some aquatic plants can grow so well out of their native habitat that they block shipping, clog intake pipes for irrigation and drinking water, and crowd out native species that wild animals depend on for food.
Each state maintains a list of plants that they are concerned about.

Goldfish need a MUCH larger tank than 10 gallons. I kept my 5 goldfish in a 45 gallon tank, but only until they were large enough to go into my pond.
Cleaning the tank only every several months is horrid.

Would you keep a Saint Bernard in an apartment with a small balcony, and only clean the balcony every few months?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the information. I will look into it.

We are not intentionally trying to be cruel to the fish. I honestly didn't even think it would live past a week when my daughter won it at the state fair 7 years ago. When we bought the 10 gallon tank, the people in PetSmart told us it would be a good size if the fish grew. We thought we were doing a good thing. I had no clue it would get so big. I always thought goldfish were small and the bigs ones were koi. I guess we will have to rehome him as we do not have a space for a larger tank.

As for the cleaning, we started the tank with the undergravel filter only. It always did a great job and the tank looks clean. I added the other filter 18 months ago because I had heard about goldfish creating a lot of ammonia. There weren't any problems, but I thought extra filtering should be better than not. The guy in the pet store said we were overdoing it but I added it anyway. I really didn't know I was doing something wrong with our cleaning schedule. I even told the guy in the store and he didn't say anything about it. Until we can find a new home for the fish, I will make sure to clean it more often. As I said before, I am here to learn. The people I spoke with in the pet store always seemed to know so much, so I had no reason to doubt them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisheriesOmen View Post
If it had lived 7years he's doing something right.
I'm sorry, but the length of time an animal has survived poor conditions is not an adequate indicator of "doing something right." It just means that the animal was able to overcome adversity.

I am sure the OP meant well and never realized that the fish needed a larger tank with more frequent maintenance and water changes. Unfortunately, no one regulates pet store employee knowledge. Even published pet care books often give inadequate advice.

Please do try to rehome the goldfish. A pond would be best; a 75 gallon aquarium would be the next option. Until then, increase the frequency of water changes.

I have a feeder goldfish myself, and believe me, the amount of waste that a goldfish produces is stunning compared to tropical fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode