Do the best kept tanks still have weekly glass algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do the best kept tanks still have weekly glass algae

Hi
Im wondering ...Do tanks that are high tec,all balanced,still have the algae that builds up on the glass front and side walls.
Im still finding that every week i have to get the magnet cleaner out and do the front and sides..(its not much,just a light coverin of green dust)

ps what is this algae called?,its just like green dust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm guessing they don't. Since switching to the 7:1 Barr Ratio (NO3:PO4) myself six months ago, I've not had any of that sort of algae at all. The glass stays algae-free. So do the Anubias too.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 08:11 PM
Algae Grower

Hmm interesting. I'm newish to plants and tanks too and just assumed that something was out of balance that caused the green stuff on the glass. It was minimal so I didn't mind scrubbing but when I took a look at my back glass boy it's gonna be a chore.

Hey awrieger, any chance you can direct me to where Barr made this suggestion? Just curious as to what else he has to say.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a deadly fart
I'm newish to plants and tanks too and just assumed that something was out of balance that caused the green stuff on the glass.
Your assumption would be pretty much accurate, I'd say, as it's literally a balance between the phosphate and nitrate. Doesn't have to super-precise, but too much or too less of one or the other and it's a ticket to algae-ville on the glass-scraping express.

Tom Barr shares his advice and experience quite freely on this and other plant forums, but to get his really in-depth research and knowledge (sometimes way too in-depth!), you can subscribe to his Barr Report monthly newsletter ($12, you get all the previous issues as well, I think) and you can ask him directly about anything he's written which you might want more details about on his website at:

http://www.barrreport.com/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Every two-three weeks I get a very thin layer of white filmy stuff on the glass. I don't think it's algae. Just "stuff" that builds up.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
It's an interesting question!

Just noticed today that my fairly new 36 gal tank has totally cleared up by itself. It had major diatom and "dust algae" growth (especially the sides... I cleaned the front regularly).

The whole green mess is gone and it's clear as can be without me doing any scraping.

On the other hand, I have still some soft green film every week in my 10 gal tank, which I consider very stable compared to the 36 gal. My 100 gal tank grows a few diatoms that need to be scraped off every week.

Interesting thing is that all 3 tanks have very similar conditions. Same water, press. CO2, ~lighting, autodosing of fertilizers. So what's different in the 36 gal? This is one that doesn't get much phosphates at all. I am sure it is not deficient, but I dose macros and micros together so phosphate is excluded, and I just dose a tiny little bit whenever I think of it, maybe every 2 weeks.

Just started to do the same to my 100 gal tank, we'll see if anything changes there in time...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:26 AM

I had alot of glass algae when i started, but it went away and now my tank has been up for a year now and i havent had any algae problems in it at all. I finally reached a perfect balance and i am very happy all i add is DIY CO2 and its not even constant just when i remember

Plants are anubuis, jungle val, amazon sword, moss.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:56 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ever since I started doing EI, and keeping an eye on my CO2 level, I've lost all my green spot algae - the one algae that grew on my glass. Even the thread algae is disppearing.

And I second the recommendation to get acquainted with Tom. He's a sweetie pie.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
My 55 gallon has not had to have the glass cleaned in months. The 29 gallon is another story.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

yeah..well i got all my levels balanced and my c02 is 30+..im just going to wait it out and hope that itl clear up...not that its a real problem(touch wood)

awrieger...you said a N03 7 /P04 1 ..i have a N03 just under 12 and a P04 of 1
what test kit do u use to messure N03? i use tetra and find the colour hard enough to read,let alone find whats 7 the color chart goes up from 0,12,25 etc
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 02:25 PM

That's a good reason why getting 7:1 doesn't have to be so precise. You can't be that accurate with test kits! A lot of people prefer 10:1, but I've had great success with Barr's 7:1.

I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. I've tried nearly all of them over the past year, and the AP ones are the best overall (price, # of tests, ease of use, accuracy etc)

With your readings (which are usually what mine are after each weekly water change) I would just add 10ppm NO3 to take it up to 22, and 2ppm of PO4 to take it up to 3. A 22:3 ratio is close enough to 7:1! For nitrate sensitive fish, or lower light conditions, I'd do a 14:2 scenario.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode