cichlid people, answer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
cichlid people, answer

I'm thinking of making a cichlid biotope. It could be lake malawi, or tanganyika. Has any one done this? If you have, then could you suggest good species of fish and plants. The tank will most likely be a 46g. I would like easy fish, that are not uncommon. And does anyone know if there are any catfish that could work. throughout this thread, I will propably ask some stupid questions, so bear with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:11 PM

I'm a fan of Tanganyika cichlids. I just find them more interesting and less belligerent. My favorite is Neolamprologus brichardi which I usually keep in a species tank.

I've got some Julidochromis transcriptus in another tank and I'm liking those as well.

I like the brichardi because they allow previous broods of offspring to stay around the spawning site and help care for younger siblings. A single pair will eventually (think a few years rather than months) colonize an entire tank. I understand the transcriptus follow a similar pattern, but mine are just now getting close to spawning size.

There are other interesting tangs, such as the shell dwellers and calvus are also cool looking.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:28 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Guy - for a Lake Tangykian setup - check out neolamprolgous busheri- they are amazing - actually, almost all of the "lamp" family is a nice aquatic investment .

Multis are great also- you can have many in a 40+ gallon tank.

Use a good buffering substrate in you tank - crushed coral is good. Easy on the wood (acidifies). If you plan to plant heavy or use high watt lighting - make sure you build your fish multiple hideouts with slate / rock combo!

Stick to 1 or 2 types of fish and natural behavior will be your reward - little babies too- I would skip the catfish on my tank - but I know peoples who love the plecos.

Have A Nice Day

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:41 PM

A pair of Altolamprologus calvus or A. compressiceps would be an option. They do grow really slowly however. Any of the Juli's would be a great thought. They've got some interesting personalities. Check out shelldwellers like Neo. caudopunctatus and brevis. They are the two most common varieties.
Catfish wise, chick out Syn. multipunctatus and petricola. They look really similar, but the petricola are smaller. They do however harrass fish and can interfere with breeding of your fishies.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Don't forget the anachris. As I understand it, this plant can process carbon from calcium carbonate, and I can tell you from experience it grows exceptionally well in very hard very alkaline water.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbhil
Don't forget the anachris. As I understand it, this plant can process carbon from calcium carbonate, and I can tell you from experience it grows exceptionally well in very hard very alkaline water.
Breaking the ionic bond between Ca+ and CO3- isn't very strong, but it doesn't make sense that it would take the Carbon from CO3- when it's much easier to break the bonds from CO2. Just my 2cents.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 04:57 PM

e=mc2 dont cha know
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:06 PM

yes, but only sometimes
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

THank you everyone for replying. I tried to look up info on these fish, but didn't get much. So, could you give some links, or just tell me what you know.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
I've always wanted to see someone do a nice shelldweller tank.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
This isn't going to be much help I'm afraid, I don't know much about African cichlids, but my brother-in-law keeps brichardi with some type of catfish, I think he called it a cuckoo cat? Basically because it has the same reproductive anomaly, that of laying its eggs in the brichardi "nests" and then the brichardi take care of the offspring as their own. I don't believe he's actually been successful in getting them to breed however, although he's had numerous spawns of the brichardi.

Or maybe not . Apparently they destroy the cichlid spawn (much like the cuckoo nestlings shove the other babies out of the nest.)

www.planetcatfish.com article:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/2002_07.PHP

Sláinte!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mrbelvedere138: http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/shellweb/
This is a website all about shelldwellers.

I think I want some julidochromis, what would work well with them and would fit in a 46 gallon tank?
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

roshawk, you are talking about Synodontis catfish. They eat cichlids eggs while they spawn, and replace them with thier own
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have been to a lot of websites. The lemon cichlid feeding seems to be different at each one. some say carnovor, only live foods,omnivore, will eat pellits, hebivore, to likes tomatos. does any one know the real story??
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:04 PM

Only some syndontis deliver their eggs when the cichlids are spawning and I don't know of any that actually replace the eggs. What generally happens with species like the syndontis multipunctatis is they just deliver their eggs in front of the spawning female and the mother takes it up. The cat fry hatches a little earlier and proceeds to consume the rest of the eggs. It's pretty cool really but happens very rarely in the home aquarium.

As for planted with African... I could never do it but some claim it is possible. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/index.php will answer all your questions though and they're usually more right than the rest of the sites.

Oh, and yes, I've done a Malawi biotope before which is basically rocks and purposely growing algae, but I digress heh.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode