My banana plants..need advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My banana plants..need advice

Hi,

I am an idiot , I listened to some people and decided that I need to trim my banana plants (I was told it's too tall). After I trimmed one plant I started to regret it and went online to see if it should be trimmed at all. It looks like we should only cut it to the ground once it bears fruits. The worst part was, I accidentally (OK so I didn't map it out right) cut the stalk that has flower/green bananas on it). I am not sure if it's edible since they have been like that through out the winter (I live in CA, so not much of a cold winter), but I was sad about it.

What should I do? I see some baby suckers on the ground. Should I leave it the way it is now (I cut most of the parts down to about 6 ft tall), or should I cut it all the way down to the ground?

More importantly, is it true that I shouldn't trim the leaves and just let it fall?

Thanks!! I want to save the plant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've never heard of bananas growing under water. You must have one BIG tank to fit a bannana tree in it... I've never known bananas to grow on anything other than a banana tree.

You said you cut most parts down to 6 ft tall? Are you talking about a plant that is in your tank or outside. I dont understand?

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

hmmm I didn't mention anything about water. It's outside in my backyard in solid ground

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
AQUATIC Plants.

"The Planted Tank" is about Aquatic Plants. That's where the "Tank" part comes in....

Maybe just a Troll....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Sorry... I saw another post with banana plants in the thread when I serached online, so I didn't even pay attention to the forum.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
There is an aquatic banana plant that isn't actually bananas, it just looks like bananas.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have a banana plant, Musa acuminata, growing behind my aquarium, as a house plant.

Good luck with the plants, I hope they will be ok. I think this forum might help you with your problem:
http://www.banana-tree.com/Forum/ind...forumID~14.cfm

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Rain. I feel more stupid after I found out that I posted on the wrong forum.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
Don't worry about it, it happens. Same type of thing happened in an apple snail forum (keeping them as pets) I am a member in a while ago, a person came to ask advice about how to prepare them as food. I've done the same too once or twice when I have been too worried or too excited about the subject I've needed to talk about to notice that there might be something wrong in my choice of forum.

And who knows, maybe you get bitten by the planted tank bug while you are here.

- Satu

Eheim Pimp #152
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Try http://www.bananas.org/ .

I have a SDC by my tank. Wish I could grow it outdoors!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Man, what have you guys been smoking? !! The "bananna plant" is one of the most common aquatic plants in the aquarium and has been in use for ever. The actual name is Nymphoides aquatica. It is a type of water lilly.

HAHA! OK, so its not what you have, but it is an interesting aquarium plant

It has a set of tubers that look like a bunch of bananas, hence the name. The tubers simply store nutrients just like any bulb. The leaves are small, kinda arrow shaped and float at the water surface. If you want to prune the leaves off, it is best to cut the whole stem. More leaves will grow from the tubers. The tubers should not be buried. The plant needs fairly bright light. If you have enough light and nutrients in the water, long roots will grow from the tubers deep into the substrate. Without enough light, it will never grow roots and only continue to produce leaves until the nutrients stored in the tubers are depleted.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode