How long will it take to observe plant improvement with CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,
I just setup my 20 gallon planted tank with automated CO2 injection.....The tank has flourite, Metal Halide pendant, heavily planted with swords, crypts, vals, etc...

How long will it take to observe a "improvement" in the plants??? What should I watch out for???
Im doing this tank before I do the same to my 58 planted discus tank.

My 58 has two metal halides, heavily planted.....and is dong soooo well that I kind of question if i really need c02 on the tank.....test kit says yes....plants dont seem to mind the lack of c02 injection.

I can post some pics of either tank later.

Every thing is going great .....except that I wonder is there a better way to control the flow of the CO2 regulator(bought from a welding supply). Its seems to lose adjustment if i try t maintain a 1 bubble per second flow? Setup is a Aquacontroller that controls the Aquabuschline needle valve that feeds a bubble counter then a c02 mebrane reactor.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:12 PM

You need a needle valve after your regulator. Many of us use the clippard MNV-4K2 needle valve.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank VIP

He already has a needle valve (its mentioned in the last line)

Its possible that you need to open the regulator up a bit to put more presure behind the needle valve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:20 PM

Yeah, perhaps I'm a little distracted.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Agreed, Gareth. Open the pressure behind the needle valve a bit. Most needle valves aren't very accurate at pressures below 20-30psi.

As for how long until you see a difference, as long as your nutrients are all present in proper quantity, you should see a difference in plant growth in as little as a week or so!

- Sam P -
Low Tech Planted Nanos with Bettas
Former Tank Journals:

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:25 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You are gonna love the difference...

CO2 addition brings out the color of the plants, the greens are much richer.
If you have a photo of that tank just before adding CO2 and then snap another one after a few days of running it, I bet you would see some difference in plant health.
That is if you have at least 2 1/2 - 3 watts over your tank. Higher lights make hungrier plants and the carbon is a must... Thats when you really see a fast change in plant appearance and growth.
Lower lit tanks have a much more subtle change.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 09:58 PM
2la

You should actually see improvement within a few hours as your plants pearl like never before!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
You should actually see improvement within a few hours as your plants pearl like never before!
Absolutely! It can happen that fast!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 10:37 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raincheck
My 58 has two metal halides, heavily planted.....and is dong soooo well that I kind of question if i really need c02 on the tank.....test kit says yes....plants dont seem to mind the lack of c02 injection.
Tom,
If your plants are doing sooooo well the difference will not be as pronounced as what others have seen in their tanks. IME the biggest improvement can be seen in tanks with hard water.
If CO2 is the limiting factor you will see a difference for sure.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:18 PM

Hey with those lights on there, you really need CO2 on your tank.

Couple of weeks ago I noticed after about 6 hours that my CO2 tank was empty. I had a spare tank filled and ready to go. When I went to change the tank I noticed that the PH had risen to 8 from 6.8, I then had to slowly drop the PH so that the fish would not go into shock ( I have discus). For two days afterwards my fish would not come out of their hiding spots. This happened once, this will happen to your tank every day if you do not have CO2 on your tank. Your plants need CO2 and your fish need a stable environment to live without stress. Once all the caclium carbonate is depleted from the water, then the plants will stop growing and the water will have no buffer and Ph will sky rocket.

Yes you need CO2!

Paul
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

I think my problem is the CO2 membrane difuser. Its a Aqua Medic 400....seems to be a pretty get more clogged the longer its in the tank....Id appreciate any opinions on that, It blew the top off the Aqua medic bubble counter(What a POS.....does any one know where to get another Dupla? I bypassed it) so i guess the membrane gets clogged or something. Ill probably have to get another method of difusing the co2....I would hate to put a reactor and power head on it because its only a 20 gallon tank.....but I probably will if this keeps up. Im using RO/DI water with Seachem Equilibrium/ kent ph stable. I keep a little bag of crush coral in the Eheim canister filter. Ill post a pic when i get a chance...the plants are pearling : ) already I just want grow crypts!

Co2 reg>>>needle valve>>>solenoid>>>check valve>>>diffuser
Is this correct??

Thanks for the advice.....I just want to get most of the errors out of this setup b4 i do the CO2 on the Discus tank. Heres a pic of the 58 gallon Discus tank....I dont really see the need at moment to put CO2 on the tank(all I need is a regulator and a controller for it though....maybe Christmas!) The 58 has got 2 Eheim 2028 filters and Wet dry under it. Doping the plants with a eheim feeder and liquid eheim food. Two 175 w halides and a strip above it.

The tank is in a pretty great state of balance....ph is alway stable at 6.7-6.9 fish are happy......plants would do better with CO2 i know....Im just amazed at how this tank stays. Ive been keeping plants and discus for 30 yrs. Just dont overfeed(damn bloodworms) and change water! I agree that ph crashes and the sort will drive you to drink but I think if you get the tank to that state of balance....it makes life easier.

Tom
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Heres the 58 gallon pic....[img][/img]
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 01:01 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
A 20 gallon tank? Get the Hagen diffuser, it's small, thin, and easily hidden in the back of the tank. There is little chance of back pressure as the CO2 is released from an open tube and not an airstone or membrane diffuser. You won't beable to see it so you will still need a bubble counter which you can DIY with a plastic bottle. You do have to keep an eye on plants growing into the diffuser and disrupting the path of the bubbles, snails do this too, but they eventually move on their own.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 02:28 PM

you can watch the bubbles come out in the Hagen diffuser 'ladder'...there's no need for a sepearate bubble counter with that setup.

I'm surprised to see a 20gallon with a pressurized setup. Most people wont' fork out the cash for pressurized CO2 til they get up to 55 gallons.
my 29gallon runs awesome with 2 1gallon CO2 yeast jugs, and 1 hagen diffuser. I have eliminated surface agitation as well by putting a sponge in my HOB outflow. Plants begin to pearl after 20 mins of lighting - 2 55watt power compacts.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yes, you can see the bubbles in the Hagen diffuser, but only if you leave it visible. :roll: If you hide your equipment behind a stand of plants you will want a bubble counter.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode