Should I go with a UV Sterilizer? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Should I go with a UV Sterilizer?

im starting my first real planted tank, a 12 gallon with a fluval 204 canister.
Ahsupply 36 watt 6700K lighting

Should I go with a UV Sterilizer perhaps the Turbo Twist 3x 9W?

Thanks in Advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
UV will help with green water and parasites. Its not really a safe guard against all algae. I say save your $ and put it into something else

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks. I belive my water contains high phosphates, im gonna pick up a test kit and check.

I may be batter off using RO/DI water, or phosguard to help prevent algea break outs?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 03:31 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
You want phosphates, the plants need them to grow. Get the test kit but you may not want to buy the phosguard. The fact that PO4 causes algae is a myth. I add it to my tank, and add more when I get spot algae. Take some time and read through some of the post on here. Many of your questions will be answered. Do your research before you run out and buy anything. You will spend all kinds of money on stuff that you dont need

|
|
|
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought one when I was first starting out a year and half ago.

Never used it.

Peter

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:03 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought one, used it for about 6 months. One day I unplugged it for some reason and forgot about it. Didn't use it for about 3 months and never noticed a difference, for me, waste of money.

Scott
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 03:19 AM
The Weather's Here

PTrader: (41/100%)
I bought mine to cure my green water problem on my 55G tank I used to have. Now I use it on my 30G; it goes on/off with the lights on a timer. I've heard that just leaving it on 24/7 will make the bulb last longer then turning it on and off all the time...

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
If you ever have GW, they are definately nice to have around. Keep it and never use it, but you have it just in case. I never run my Current-USA UV clarifier. But I have it. I'm taking it out of line on my 90 and will put it back in HOB mode. That way its ready if need ever arises on one of three tanks.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Yeah I kinda figured they would be good for every now and then use as opposed to using constantly.

Kind of like my Diatom Filter that I had years ago, Only used it once every few months, but when my water was cloudy, it would clear it up in a matter of mins.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode