Filter Media - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Filter Media

Should I keep the media that came with my Fluval Filter? or change it to something better?
Also, how long will it take to build up enough good bacteria so I can stop useing my HOB filter?
Thanks
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is your tank cycled now?

You've got an astonishing number of large fish in there. Please get the 90 soon. That's really a disaster waiting to happen.

What do you want to do with the filter (bio, mechanical)? Are you unhappy with the media you've got now?

What size Fluval?
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

All of my fish are small except for the Tin Foil Barb which I seriously thinking of donating it to my doctors office. He is about 3 1/2 inches long. Also the Brown Knife is about 5 inches long. Everything else is about 2 inches or smaller.
Yes my tank was cycled with 2 HOB filters. I removed the one with the bio wheel because of CO2 and because I now have a canister filter running now for 2 or 3 days. I want to remove the other HOB filter as soon as possible.
Thanks and yes at least a 75 gal but the 90 would be great.
OH Yea, I really want the water to be crystle clear.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
You might want to take the filter media from the HOB, and put it into the cannister to help the seeding process.

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Should I keep the media that came with my Fluval Filter? or change it to something better?
People use all kinds of media combinations in their filters. I just use 2-20ppi (pores per inch), topped with 2-30ppi sponges, topped with filter floss, and that finally topped with a micro-filter in my xP3.

If You want to spend the money on Bio-balls, rings, stars, etc, etc, etc--that's up to You. The setup I use seems very popular and works Great!

Quote:
Also, how long will it take to build up enough good bacteria so I can stop useing my HOB filter?
You may want to consider what tazcrash69 said and put the HOB filter media inside Your canister filter. Or You could actually just clean it inside Your tank and the bacteria will find their way into the filter, gravel, etc. It would cloud Your tank for probably an hour--but the bacteria would go everywhere and You would be able to get rid of the HOB....

HTH

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Planted Member

If you have a really dense planted tank, IMHO, you really only need mechanical filtration, and the plants will take care of the rest.
I run two cannisters on my 90, and one is STUFFED with pillow fluff from wallyworld, and the other has sintered glass - only because it was expensive, and I don't want to throw it out. But if it fell to the floor, I would replace it with pillow fluff also.
I was a fool, and let the one canister go *way* to long (over a year!) between cleaning, and when I got around to it, the fluff was so full of slime and crap, it felt like pudding. But it certainly did it's job.

Peter

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The stuff that came with the Fluval is fine. I just got a 204 and used the noodles which came with it. I added some filter floss for additional water polishing and the sponge from my Penguin 100 which the 204 replaced and that was it.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You all are great. Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of putting my old HOB filter media in the canister. I just got through taking out the carbon. I hope this was fine. So now just the ceramic noodles and sponges.
Thanks

10 gallon hospital tank.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantplantsnotwork
If you have a really dense planted tank, IMHO, you really only need mechanical filtration, and the plants will take care of the rest.
I run two cannisters on my 90, and one is STUFFED with pillow fluff from wallyworld, and the other has sintered glass - only because it was expensive, and I don't want to throw it out. But if it fell to the floor, I would replace it with pillow fluff also.
I was a fool, and let the one canister go *way* to long (over a year!) between cleaning, and when I got around to it, the fluff was so full of slime and crap, it felt like pudding. But it certainly did it's job.
so i can rest assured there is no dangerous chemicals in the walmart pillow fluff? is this good enough to replace the filstar micro pad things? i know you have your entire filter filled with it but what about the efficacy of using it just at the top like the filstars are designed?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

How often do you replace/change the filter pads/media in HOB's and canisters? Do any plant keepers use activated carbon? I am researching planted tanks because I have some HOB filters and such left over from my saltwater tanks. Thanks.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I replace HOB pads only when they're too dirty to be rinsed and interfere with the water flow. I don't ever replace any sponges in canisters, and only use a micron pad that I replace when it looks gunky (I'd say ever few months), instead I use cheap poly fiber floss that I replace once a month.

I used to use carbon in my planted tanks (though most people do not), but I've switched over to Purigen instead now, since it can be regnerated and re-used repeatedly.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusQer View Post
so i can rest assured there is no dangerous chemicals in the walmart pillow fluff? is this good enough to replace the filstar micro pad things? i know you have your entire filter filled with it but what about the efficacy of using it just at the top like the filstars are designed?

I have been using WalMart stuffing and quilt batting for filter media for years. It is safe.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Do be sure not to get the fiber/batting that's treated with anti-allergens and antibacterial stuff. It should be clearly marked on the packaging if it is.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
another good cheap media, is pot scrubbers. you can get a six pack at the dollar store for well a $1

im running floss, sponge, filter came with a few bio-balls and rings, 18 scrubbers, and a bag of purigen crystal clear water

SunSun Pimp #2
Fluval Ebi Pimp #4
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

so just regular poly-filter would be ok? Changed monthly?
How is purigen re-usable?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode