Who's running low tech no Co2? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Who's running low tech no Co2?

All the rage is high light/ Co2 tanks. Great stuff, but what about low tech no Co2 tanks? Can anyone share their experiences with low tech? Maybe post a pic or two of your tank and share your experiences?

Myself for one am very impressed with the low tech tank I set up some months back. I set it up for my father and every time I go over his place I am blown away with how nice everything is growing relative to the amount of money and time put into it. My father tells me this tank is less work than his fish only tanks!!

Maintenance is almost non- existent. Four steps:
1. Feed fish/plants
2. Clean Filter
3. Change 30% water every 2 months or so.
4. Trim plants back every 4 months.

Cost of setup was so cheap compared to high tech it's ridiculous.

For substrate we used 1/2 in layer of "Cheap dirt" and on top of that 3" of some pea gravel from the local garden store.

Tank is planted with Anubias, crypts like balanse and wendii, dwarf sag, and swordplants. Started off with lots of water wysteria too in the beginning.

For lighting we splurged a bit and went with a 2X65 watt light. Thats it. No dosing except for a little bit of seachem equilibrium (1/8 teaspoon every two weeks as a potassium source) and a little bit of a phosphate buffer as a phosphate source-we had Seachem neutral regulator on hand. (1/8 teaspoon every week or two). Nitrate comes initially from the soil and is later provided by the fish.

Filtration is a powerhead with a "quick filter attachment" and a fluval cannister filter than was running on the tank prior.

Anyone wanting to get into planted tanks, but is overwhelmed by the complexities of all the plant specific hardware, dosing and frequent water changes should really check this method out. It's a great starting point. Also a great alternative to those not wanting to do as much work and still get about 80% of the same results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to TheOtherGeoff Send a message via MSN to TheOtherGeoff
i go low tech with all my stuff. its very nice with decent results. i trim every now and then, and just kinda let things go where they go. i fertilize if/when i remember and the plants dont seem to mind it much. it makes it much easier to be sitting around to watch the tank versus having to worry about doesing this or that, checking to see if the bottle is full etc etc.

The Fish Tank, Tranquility in Motion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
all gone now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Planted discus has come to an end.......but only for
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 02:22 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Its pretty low tech although he uses DIY co2...But to win 1rst place with it....Thats just amazing!!

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.or...vol=2&id= 112

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:08 AM

I tried and failed at low light/no CO2. Algae got the better of me. It drove me nuts.

I have since added pressurized CO2 and ferts. Still low light (3x32w T-8's on a 75), but the plants are doing much better. I'm upgrading the lighting next. Might as well since I went this far.

Would love to know how to do a low light/low tech setup without the algae taking over though.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I have a 38g low-tech. 1.5wpg, no ferts, no Co2, water change one time a month. I top the water off when ever the sound of my emperor 400's waterfalls becomes annoying. Ill post a pic soon. This tank only requires feeding the fish, everything else is supplied by waste. Interestingly I thought my sword was going to die, but it shed all it's leaves one by one in the corse of 2 months and put out more well adapted leaves to the low-tech conditions.

My plants:
Hygro polysperma "giant"
Bolbitus heudelotii
crypt lutea & wendtii
java windelov
anubias barteri var. barteri
radican sword

Peace,
Ry

I raise my sword in the air in the battle against clado. I have been beaten in this battle but the war is not over. As my wounds heal I amass another army, an army with many legs, an army of Amano's......

I thrust my tridant into the mass of medusa like staghorn. I am wounded but I refuse to take a knee.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 AM

I had a fantastic looking low-tech, heavily planted tank for about 3 years that was extremely low maintenance. It was just a standard Eclipse System Six with all the original bits -all I did was paint the back edge black for asthetics and I took the carbon out of the filter. I had set it up in my office at work so my goal was "no maintenance".

Some of my "keys to success":

1.) Tons of low-light, zero maintenence plants, mostly various crypts in 100% Flourite substrate,
2.) Small amounts of fish - I had 3 cherry barbs and an otto,
3.) Patience!

It took forever for the crypts to grow and fill the tank - maybe about a year - but once they did the tank looked awesome. The water was always crystal clear - after the first few months there was virtually no algae growth and almost zero detritus. Only work was putting in a new filter every so often and I did 20% water changes about once every two months.

The two main drawbacks: 1.) it wasn't the cheapest setup with the Eclipse, the Flourite and all the crypts - around $150 for everything, and 2.) as I mentioned before, it definitely wasn't for immediate gratification. Plant growth was extremely slow.

All-in-all it was one of my favorite tanks! I have photos somewhere...
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have 4 tanks that are heavily planted with no CO2, low to medium light and dose a weekly EI with Excel and do 50% water changes about once a month. I trim plants at about the same time. I keep HC, Ludwigia Cuba, Glandulosa, Repens, Rotala Rotundafolio, Blyxa Japonica, E. Tenellus, Java Moss, Fern, Didipilis Diandra, 5 varieties of Crypt Wedtii, Crypt Lucens, Crypt WIllissi, Hemianthis Traian, Tonina Fluviatalis, Bacopa Caroliana, Wisteria, Alternathera REneicki in these tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LudCuba.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	2714  

Click image for larger version

Name:	LudCuba, Crypt Wendtii, Hygro Sunset.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	2715  

Good Luck,

Mike
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmagni
All the rage is high light/ Co2 tanks. Great stuff, but what about low tech no Co2 tanks? Can anyone share their experiences with low tech? Maybe post a pic or two of your tank and share your experiences?
YES! Please tell. I'm strongly considering going this route for my own aquarium and really want to know what has worked and what hasn't.

Tom
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 05:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jimjimson Send a message via MSN to jimjimson Send a message via Yahoo to jimjimson
i have a low tech/ no co2 algae grow out tank. it's coming in beautifully.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have 2 low tech tank with no Co2. One with Xmas moss, dwarf sag and Limnophila sessiliflora. The other tank has water lettuce, Limnophila sessiliflora, some unknown crypt and a small java fern. I get a little bright green dust algae on the rocks in both tanks but i think it gives it a more natural look.

Actually in these tanks the Limnophila sessiliflora looks better then it did in my "high tech" tank.

Id say what works are plants that grow fast even with low light and no Co2, plants that pull alot of nutrients from the water. My water lettuce definatly sucks the bad stuff out of the tank, and grows like crazy. Some plants just wont work with this setup and the longer they take to grow the more prone you are to haveing a little algae on them and not as nice to look at.

My tanks:
- 10g - 5g - 2.5g
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:35 PM

I have a 90 gallon planted tank, 2.4 wpg, no co2, half flourite/half gravel. I dose once a week with kent fertilizers and do a 20-30% waterchange about every three weeks.

I do have a small algae problem but nothing to make it worth spending on a pressurized CO2 system. I just need to find the right combination of nutrients and plants and hope that my new addition of amano shrimp get to work.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:48 PM

Our 55gal tank is running with 80W of NO Flourescent lights, no CO2, weekly (or biweekly at least) water changes, and a HOT Magnum filter. Thats about it. Everything is growing well, stocking list includes:

Anubias (nana and barterii)
Java Fern
Java Moss
Crypt Lutea
Amazon Sword(s, like 6 of them)

And probably more fish than it should have. We do have a touch of hair algae, however, I dont think its worth adding CO2 for. We recently added the java fern which is growing quickly, along with some hornwort and water sprite, so hopefully it will out compete the hair algae, but its not that bad to manually remove during a water change.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have a 20g tank with 15w lights, no co2, and just a huge jungle of elodea (anacharis) floating on the top. It's pretty cool, the elodea blocks most of the light, so I have to have a seperate light coming in from the side for the fish.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a 30g low tech tank, 2x65 watts per gallon, no ferts, no co2, no algae, eco complete substrate. Plants include h. polysperma 'ceylon', java fern, anubias, dwarf sag, vals (americana or jungle i think, not sure which), c cillata, c. wendtii, c spiralis, duckweed, cabomba, p. gayi, and pealrweed. It's an easy going tank, gets trimmed somewhere between every 10 days, to 2 months depending how dilligent I am with water changes. A relatively low bioload, and a very well established Eheim 2213 keep everything in relative balance. I'll post pics up one of these days...

Actually, quick story about this tank. I'm 17, don't have much time or money to spare, but it's been going so long now it doesn't really matter. Anyway, a friend of mine came over, on one of it's worse days, just before a water change. It looked pretty nasty, duckweed completelycovering the top, the water brownfrom the tannins, and she sticks her nose up to it and sniffs. She looks at me and goes, "it doesn't smell, why doesn't it smell?" I just laughed...

post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
How is it that you have 130 watts no CO2 over your 30 gallon and you don't have any algae?

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode