Tank Check UP - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Tank Check UP

Ok so I've changed a lot of things in my aquarium over the last month and so I'm going to run my entire situation by the experts here in this forum.

First my water parameters:
Aquarium:
ph. 7.9
kh. 9
gh. 4
nitrate 10-20 ppm
phosphate 5

Tap Water
ph. 7.4
kh. 7
gh. 11 (we're using a water softener at my house so I'm confused???)
nitrate 0
phosphate 0

For the last two weeks I've been dosing with Greg Watson ferts, except for phosphates. Just today I added a 20 lb. CO2 injection kit. Every week I perform a 25% water change, then a complete water test after that followed by the fertilizer dosings.

I have two questions: First I'm going to dose 20-30 ppm CO2 I just want to make sure this is what I need (I have the program to tell me how to calculate CO2 levels with ph and kh). Second how dose one go about dosing the Greg Watson potassium and trace element ferts? I read Rex's guide but still don't have a clear cut idea or procedure.

Your advice and or criticism is appreciated as I am here to learn from those who know more. Thanks Everybody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
Planted Member

Go for a 50% water change, E.I., and stop testing and enjoy the tank.

Peter

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
I does my potassium dry, measured with a small measuring spoon, directly into the tank. I'm not sure about the trace mix, I use flourish. Try to keep your CO2 at 30ppm, maybe a touch more.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 03:04 AM Thread Starter

I was wondering more about the what volume of potassium do I dose. Like how do I determine the number of grams I add? My ph is only set to 7.5 right now becuase i don't want to drop the ph too fast as I am trying to avoid sudden shock to fish health.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (33/100%)
What type of potassium do you have, KNO3 K3SO4 ?

Don't worry about the pH dropping from the CO2 it won't affect your fish.

What size tank do you have? I use TMG for micros but I have used Greg's Micros before and you can make your own solution or dose them dry depending on your tank size.

Bill
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

80 gallons is my tank capacity but I have roughly 75 gallons of water. I use KNO3 for nitrates and I understand that it will dose some small amounts of potassium as well. I also have K2SO4 to dose only potassium so I know that whenever I dose with more nitrates that I get some potassium but I'm pretty sure it's not enough.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Your home water softener will kill your plants if you use the water from it.

I know this from personal experience.

If your water doesn't appear to have passed through the softener, first thank God. Your water source might skip the softener, like my home's kitchen sink cold water feed.

Just keep this in mind if you ever decide to get water from another location in your house. Test it first to make sure it isn't softened (low GH, normal KH).

Regards,
Barry
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR Advocate #39
Member, Minnesota Aquarium Society
29 Gal. - 100% Eco-Complete/2x65W CF/CO2/Filstar XP2/RedSea500/KH:3/GH:5/pH:< 5.5/EI Dosing/WWC 50%
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

I think my softener is only running on the hot water as opposed to the cold water. I know for sure the spickets for the hoses outside don't use it too.

Here's some pics of what my tank looks like now. It's lowly planted because of a devastating nutrition problem prior to my Greg Watson ferts and CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode