Well, I blew it... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well, I blew it...

A great running tank got put on the edge last night. I have a 90 gallon, with two cannister filters, one a Ehiem 2229 converted into a big reactor, and the other a 2228 clone from fleabay. I never cleaned either one for over a YEAR.
Last night I did a water change for E.I., and thought, well, I have time, I will finially get around to doing the filter clean. Inside the clone, I had Walmart pillow fluff that felt like pudding. It was really gross. Iniside my 2229 reactor, it is full of sintered glass (forget the Ehiem name for it) and goo. Lots of goo.
Well, I clean both of these out ON TOP OF a 65% WC.

TOO MUCH. Now I have a bad bacteria bloom, and am *really* holding my breath to see if 'ol GW is gonna make a break for it. Lost a Ram and an Angel.

What really sucks is, I know better. Much better. It was a spur of the moment decision to start cleaning everthing at once, I should have done a water change, wait a couple days, one filter, etc.

The only saving grace is, despite a major cut back of the jungle, it is still a jungle. Hopefully, the plants will start sucking up any ammonia that I may have created. Should have listened to the tiny voice in my head.....

Peter

90 Gallon, eco, pressurized, controlled, 240 watts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere
Once you get started cleaning and doing maintenance it is very easy to keep going. I'll trim one plant or move a stem, hey I haven't dosed iron in a while, gee I think I could go for a WC, pretty soon everything is spotless and you have pruny hands. It happens.

In college....so no aquariums for a while.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Hehe...

Never clean the filters and do a water change at same time, you said you knew better, so....I won't say it!

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah, I knew better.
I am on vacation this week, and not going anywhere. Just thought I would knock it out, it has been knawing there in the back of my head.
What is weird is the tank was running SO great with such slimy filters. I think they must have been providing a good deal of NO3 on their own.

Oh well. My wife thinks it is getting a little more clear now. Except for the two fish, maybe it was just knowledge re-enforcement experiance....

Peter

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbelvedere138
Once you get started cleaning and doing maintenance it is very easy to keep going. I'll trim one plant or move a stem, hey I haven't dosed iron in a while, gee I think I could go for a WC, pretty soon everything is spotless and you have pruny hands. It happens.
Yup . I can just about guarantee that any time I do a prune in my tank, it's gonna turn into a "major" prune, and then it's gonna turn into GW. Thankfully it's always slight, just gets hazy really, so I drag out the Vortex to clean it up. That's how I know it's GW the bag in the filter turns green .

It is . . . so . . . hard to . . . stop !

Slinte!
Cindy

-
2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 11:29 PM

PTrader: (9/100%)
hmm. I do my filter once a month? I wonder how often others clean theirs?

Rick
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I clean my filter once a month at the same time as I'm dooing my 50% water change. I've never experiance a problem dooing this.

Did you clean your filter media with tap water, because if you did, that is the problem. Filters must be cleaned with tank water otherwise the chlorine and temperature change will kill all you bennificial bacteria.

75 gallon, fillstar xp2 with inline reactor, 12 Lb pressurised co2, 4.2 WPG-corallife 3x96 watt PC-, fluorite/silica-sand substright.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not so much as cleaned, but totally replaced the pillow fluff.
But the sintered glass *did* get hit with the garden hose, which of course is tap water.
I left the airstone on high all day, and now can see an improvement. I think I am out of the woods on this.
Lucky.

Peter

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:21 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Jus a lil minor set back...Everything will fall back into place as long as the co2 is crankin...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:58 PM

I clean my filter once a week while doing WC.

The catch is I just replace the floss and leave the rings and sponges alone. I will give them a light rinsing maybe once a month.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have two canisters on my 125 gallon. I don't worry about anything since the one untouched filter takes cares of any potential spike. Having said that though, I do not rinse the bio media in anything by tank water. I do cleaner out the canister "box and all the other media with tap water.

Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode