beginning to wonder - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
beginning to wonder

I have always been very religous about regular water changes, making sure the light is on regulated times of the day, even bought the very expensive bulbs. Followed a very strict regimen of fertilizers.

I went out of town a month ago. Of course, the day after I leave, my wife calls and says the entire light assembly has quit working. I have never used a heater in the water(live in Miami), water has always maintained a stable temp.

Since I couldn't come home my first worry was the water getting to cold without the light. I had my wife go to the store to buy a heater to maintain temp.

I finally get home 3 weeks after I was supposed to. All my wife did was feed the fish everyday. After 4 weeks of no light, no fertilizers, no water changes, I was very worried how the tank was going to look.

OMG, the grass has grown almost halfway up the tank(55 gallon), the leaves have never looked better on the stem plants, the water is crystal clear and the fish have never looked healthier.

Really beginning to wonder about all the regimented schedules and time spent at it.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Maybe your wife has found a new career? My tank could use her help!

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:54 AM

I feel the same way sometimes...like is it all reeeaally necessary?

dunno.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:56 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
You might just be seeing normal growth. It looks drastic since you haven't seen it for a while.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
You might just be seeing normal growth. It looks drastic since you haven't seen it for a while.
My point is, it had all this growth without the normal regimen of time and money spent on it.

It spent a month in the dark, no ferts, no water changes and looked better than ever.

Scott
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Less light means less maintainance, less need to dose so religously, I have tanks here that have 1.5~2.5wpg, no C02, they get dosed some trace maybe once a week, can't tell you when they had a water change, no need.
They are full of plant's and look good. Fish and shrimp look very healthy also...
When you get over 3wpg is when you need to stay on top of things better.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by WfxXx; 04-10-2006 at 06:21 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:13 AM

I would be willing to place money on a bet that all of us that do 40% + weekly water changes would do fine with 25% monthly.

But I dont do 40% + weekly water changes because I think it is critical. It is a preventive chore to keep my water in optimal conditions and reduce my chances of disease, poisoning and algae. After all, that 1 hour a week I spend with the siphon and buck beats the heck out of dealing with some type of tank crash and starting over (and spending more money).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 04:26 AM

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oh! My bad, I totally got befuddled by my own logic (which, btw, came up with the theory of aquatic humans - copyrighted so don't get any ideas.)

Tom has mentioned before that sometimes tanks that get less maintenance do much better with very little water changes. I think that Keck is right on about the preventive measure being a factor in it. I know that I do my 50% change every monday at 10 a.m. and I only buy and add new fish on that day to that tank because I'm sure of the water quality. However, on 3 of my other tanks, I change water umm...... maybe once every few months and they only get light when I remember to turn their lights on.

My theory about your situation though is this: Due to your diligence with changes and ferts, your plants were able to build up a reservoir of strength that they drew on when there were no lights for a month (possibly taking advantage of diffused sunlight or ambient light) and taking up fish waste as supplemental ferts. Maybe since you weren't "pushing" certain growth with lights, the plants just grew in a different way. Like.... how certain lights will cause different leaf shapes, internodal distance, color, etc.

*** OMG! This is my 1000th post! ***

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode